Re: [News] Amazon and NewEgg AstroTurf Confirmed; Is Microsoft Involved Too?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Amazon and NewEgg AstroTurf Confirmed; Is Microsoft Involved Too?
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:06:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Belkin boss 'extremely sorry' for cash-for-good-reviews plan
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| According to an open letter from Belkin big cheese Mark Reynoso,
>| the "unethical practice" was conducted by "one of our employees", who offered
>| cash in exchange for good reviews.
> `----
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/20/belkin_prez_apologises/
>
> Caught AstroTurfing: Bad Belkin Bayard Business..
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| It seems a Belkin employee was caught red-handed looking for people to write
>| positive reviews of one of their products. Our own Paul Ferris discusses his
>| observations and some of the bigger social issues that 'AstroTurfing'
>| exposes.
> `----
>
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/114965/
>
> Might the likes of Waggener Edstrom be doing the same for Microsoft? They have
> already handed out laptops as gifts to prominent bloggers, with the
> expectation of recieving rave reviews.

This approach was born in the days of glossy magazines, where editors
would sell a "good review" for the price of a good advertising run.
This approach, amongst others, was used to destroy the very excellent
"Quad" hifi company, the main proponent being, afairc, a company called
"Mission".  In the end, Mission bought Quad, and I've not bought
anything from either of them since, because once Mission bought Quad,
the quality dropped down to the "Mission" level...

What a surprise...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |