Re: Schestowitz wrong again

____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 21 January 2009 13:43 : \____

> RonB wrote:

True. It's still true. Moonlight is "lead pony".

The generous Microsoft!!!

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-01-20-015-35-NW-SW-0009

"     Microsoft will love you if you do.

    However, before you do you should understand Microsoft’s thinking about
this topic. Jame Plamondon, although the first head of dirty tricks at
Microsoft he has done a mea culpa, wrote a training manual for his troops
entitled “Effective Evangelism”.

http://platformevangelism.spaces.live.com/blog/cns !37F174267DC274C!152.entry

    Under the paragraph entitled “Evangelism is War” he wrote:

    Every line of code that is written to our standards is a small victory;
every line of code that is written to any other standard, is a small defeat.
Total victory … is the universal adoption of our standards by developers, as
this is an important step towards total victory for Microsoft itself: “A
computer on every desk and in every home, running Microsoft software.”

    MONO and Moonlight are BIG victories for Microsoft, because it keeps some
developers and distros dancing to Microsoft’s tune. In the future, after
enough applications and distros have Microsoft technology buried too deep into
their work to be easily removed without starting over, they should not be
surprised when (not if) Microsoft pulls their plug by extending (sound
familiar?) those two technologies with patented and proprietary components
that leave them setting on a desert island unless they give up their FOSS
freedom completely and move onto the Microsoft plantation. THAT would be
the “total victory” that Microsoft strives for.

    Fortunately, no current distro that I am familiar with depends on MONO for
its essential activities. You can check you installation by using the “locate”
command from a root console to search for “libmono”. If you find files with
those characters in their names use Synaptic (or what ever) to select those
libraries and remove them. Then reboot. If you distro doesn’t come back up
then your distro is hooked. IF it does come back up then check for “Beagle”
and other apps which use MONO and see if they still work. IF they do then
you’ve missed some mono libraries. If they don’t then remove them as well.

    DON’T GIVE MICROSOFT ITS VICTORY!
    —
    GreyGeek"

>>> How very comforting.
>>
>> Strangely enough I was able to watch the streaming video on my
>> Linux machine without mono or moonlight.
>
> Same here.  Just more FUD from Tim.  Nothing to see, move along ....

Tim's stalking is bordering the disease and the miserable.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Every beginning must start somewhere
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie