Re: Schestowitz wrong again

On Jan 20, 9:21 pm, Tim Smith <reply_in_gr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Moonlight and Mono enable Linux users (and Mac PPC users) to watch
> streaming Obama inauguration:
>    <http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jan-20.html>

> Roy said this would never happen.  Microsoft would never let Moonlight
> advance to handle the current version of Silverlight.  Well, not only
> did they "allow" it, they provided help late into the night to help the
> Mono/Moonlight developers test.

And it still wasn't enough.  I tried to install Moonlight on a RHEL5
Desktop system before the inauguration and it wouldn't install.
Microsoft's token efforts to give Mono legitimacy and avoid more
claims of monopoly building, backfired.

> Not that any Linux user actually needed this to watch the inauguration.
> Dozens of sites streamed it, in many different formats.  Roy made it
> sound like the Silverlight-based site was the *only* online way to
> watch.

MSNBC - Micrcosoft's partner with NBC, announced a really nifty new
feature that was going to create a 3D image of the inauguration using
all of the cell phone pictures sent to MSNBC during the event.
Microsoft was providing the software - and you found out when you
tried to look at the picture, that you needed Silverlight to view the
nifty new picture.  Of course, it didn't work on FireFox on Windows
either, and I didn't bother firing up IE, because - as you point out,
there were lots of "Traditional" feeds.  In addition, CNN did a
similar composite using a Linux/Solaris based solution, which worked
pretty well on Linux.

I've been enjoying MSNBC, especially Keith Oberman and Rachel Maddow,
for their light-hearted and often comical treatment of the news.  I'm
sure it won't be long before they turn their guns on Obama.  It seems
like MSNBC has found a "formula" of just tearing apart the current
administration, regardless of who it is.  Chris Mathews is already
ripping into the Obama administration for Geitner.  The irony is that
he was one of those recommended by the Republicans as well as the
Democrats.

Does this mean that Fox, the great defender of the status quo, will
suddenly become Liberal?

the MSNBC web site did have a "live" feed of the inauguration, but the
delay was substantial, and during the actual swearing in, the server
disconnected me.  I wonder how many other people lost the feed at the
critical moment.  Par for the course for Microsoft.

Fortunately, my DVR (*nix powered) recorded the critical moment, as
well as the Fox channel.  I also watched the CNN feed via Internet.