[News] Investments in Free Software Doing Well

Open Source M&A May Outpace the Industry in 2009, Says 451

,----[ Quote ]
| Early this week, 451  Group analyst Matthew Aslett shared his thoughts on M&A
| potential in the open source arena this year. If you haven’t seen it yet,
| it’s certainly worth a look.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=519

The perfect storm for open source M&A?

,----[ Quote ]
| As has been noted elsewhere, a report published recently by The 451 Group
| about opportunities for mergers and acquisitions of an by open source vendors
| is now freely available via The New York Times.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/01/19/the-perfect-storm-for-open-source-ma/

Recent:

Yes, We Can Make the Stimulus More Stimulating

,----[ Quote ]
| 6) Funding for the Development of Open Software
|
|     In the same vein, the government can spend $2 billion a year to develop
|     open source software. This money can be used to further develop and
|     simplify open source operating systems such as Linux, as well other forms
|     of free software. The payoffs from this spending would be enormous.
|     Imagine that every computer buyer in the world would be able to get a
|     computer for which the operating system was free, as was almost all the
|     software that they would ever use.
`----

http://www.truthout.org/011209R

Economist suggests federal funding of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| US ECONOMIST Dean Baker suggested on Monday that the federal government ought
| to fund Open Source software development as part of this year's economic
| stimulus package.
|
| The subsidy was one of seven ideas he mentioned in an article published
| online at Truthout, including extending health insurance coverage, public
| funding for clinical drug trials, cash buyouts for older vehicles, subsidies
| for public transportation, federal funding for creative artisans and artists,
| and tax incentives for shorter working weeks and more holiday time off.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/398/1050398/economist-suggests-federal-funding-of-open-source

The Once and Future Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| This is yet another reason why the lock down of knowledge by intellectual
| monopolies is simply unacceptable in a world that will be predicated on
| sharing digital stuff, just as we used to share the physical stuff that
| Nature gave us a few hundred thousand years ago.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/once-and-future-economy.html

Siemens patent snafu sees Seagate slip away

,----[ Quote ]
| Siemens reckoned Seagate had infringed a group of patents it thought it owned
| concerned with multi-layer hard disk drive sensor technology in GMR (Giant
| Magneto-Resistive) read heads. Siemens claimed up to $1bn in damages, based
| on all Seagate hard drives shipping since 2000 using its patented technology.
| Subsequently this was reduced to $366m, which it calculated as a three per
| cent royalty on Seagate HDD sales of $12.2bn in the relevant period. The
| judge then restricted the damages claim to royalties on disk drive sales
| after November 24 2004, which amounted to $160m.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/06/seagate_escapes_siemens_patent_claim/

The (Intellectual Monopoly) Biter Bit

,----[ Quote ]