[News] Microsoft Can't Compete Against Free Software Anymore

The Empire (No Longer) Strikes Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Tomorrow's fight will be about owning the cloud, and the main threat there is
| not so much Apache, as customised versions of open source software, of the
| kind employed by Google for its vast server farms: in the latest Netscape
| survey, Google has around 5% of the Web server market. It's still open vs.
| closed, but not as we know it.
|
| The crucial point is that Microsoft failed to displace Apache, despite its
| almost limitless resources. This is the crucial lesson for the future, more
| important than any particular percentage market share: that Microsoft's
| attacks can - and have been - beaten off.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/empire-doesnt-fight-back.html

Open source again

,----[ Quote ]
| The blog entry on open source seems to have generated more comments than
| anything else. Maybe it’s because all the EDA users want software to be free,
| and all the EDA producers are worried that it might head in that direction.
| Everyone has an opinion.
|
| In a seemingly off-topic thought, let me recommend Econtalk which is a weekly
| interview by Russ Roberts (a prof at GMU and Stanford) with someone
| knowledgeable on some aspect of economics interpreted in a wide sense. Last
| week it was Keynesian economics and the week before it was building schools
| in Africa. I typically burn it to CD each week and listen while commuting.
`----

http://www.edn.com/blog/920000692/post/310039431.html

"We should whack them (Dell over Linux dealings), we should make sure they
understand our value."

        --Paul Flessner, MS Senior Vice President, Server Applications Unit

Microsoft is already making private meetings to discuss the 'results'.

Recent:

Analyst: Zune phone unlikely, but 10% Microsoft layoffs 'reasonable'

,----[ Quote ]
| Goldman Sachs believes the Redmond company is likely to reduce its headcount.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Goldman_Sachs_Zune_Phone_unlikely_but_10_Microsoft_layoffs_reasonable37091249.html

Microsoft getting ready to lay off 17% of staff

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11142&Itemid=38