[News] Australia's Linux Festival Celebrates Decade; Microsoft Slammed for Corruption

  • Subject: [News] Australia's Linux Festival Celebrates Decade; Microsoft Slammed for Corruption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 02:50:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LCA2009: Rusty's baby turns 10

,----[ Quote ]
| It was Russell who had the brainwave of hosting a conference of this nature
| in Australia, an idea born out of a visit to the US in 1997 to attend the
| USELINUX conference there. He also bankrolled the idea when it finally came
| to fruition in 1999.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22772/1148/

LCA2009: Spreading research around

,----[ Quote ]
| From the purely technical, the Australian national Linux conference appears
| to be spreading its wings to embrace more and more aspects of society where
| openness is needed.
|
| In one sense, this is subversive; in another sense, it is just a natural
| outgrowth of an organic movement the seeds of which were planted in 1984 (a
| year that does have other connotations) when Richard Stallman kicked off the
| Free Software Foundation.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22764/1148/

LCA2009: Active Directory in Samba 4 'an old story'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft knew of the possibility that Samba 4 could supplant Active
| Directory years ago, hence it was unlikely that the company would feel that
| it posed any additional threat to Windows Server now, Samba founder Andrew
| Tridgell said today.
|
| In an interview with iTWire on the sidelines of the 10th Australian national
| Linux conference, Tridgell said that the Samba project needed developers to
| make the implementation smoother.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22773/1148/

Wikia Co-founder Waxes About Wikia, Wikis, Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikis could take a trick or two from Facebook and social networking sites in
| order to draw more contributors in the new year, says co-founder of Wikia,
| Angela Beesley, one of the keynote speakers at the upcoming linux.conf.au.
| She shares her thoughts on wikia, wikis and wikipedia as well as their place
| in the enterprise with Computerworld.
|
| What will your talk at linux.conf.au be about?
|
| I will be talking about the future plans of both Wikipedia and its parent
| organisation, the Wikimedia Foundation.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/157891/wikia_founder_beesley.html?tk=rss_news

Google ramps up IPv6 mission, google.com a year away

,----[ Quote ]
| During a presentation at this year’s linux.conf.au in Hobart, senior Google
| software engineer Angus Lees recalled how Google's IPv6 efforts started as a
| covert, hobbyist project about two years ago and has gained enough momentum
| that a AAAA record for google.com could be added to Google's DNS in a year.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/273660/google_ramps_up_ipv6_mission_google_com_year_away

Linux.Conf.Au - Day One

,----[ Quote ]
| On the systems administration side of things, I listened to Richard Keech
| talk on "Rapid, repeatable provisioning of Linux systems" using the Red Hat
| kickstart framework. There were some very good points to this talk, but my
| colleagues and I agreed we thought our current methods were better. Perhaps
| we should get around to putting in a talk for next year's conference.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linuxconfau-day-one

"Andrew Tridgell, founder of the Samba project and a major FOSS luminary, did
not speak about this subject; rather he focused on the way Microsoft
manouevred the OOXML standard through the International Standards Organisation
last year, using means which are widely acknowledged as being non-kosher.

"Tridgell said Microsoft had subverted the entire standards process by ramming
the OOXML standard through and the company should make reparations, including
an apology."

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22752/1090/1/1/

Recent:

LCA2009: Getting FOSS developers and companies to play nicely

,----[ Quote ]
| When Bdale Garbee speaks, people in the free and open source software worlds
| stop and listen. Let me reword that a bit - when Bdale Garbee speaks, people
| in the technology industry stop and listen.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22746/1148/

LCA2009: Publicising a FOSS project

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years ago, when journalists made the switch to public relations, it was
| generally the case that their vocabulary underwent a dramatic switch.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22751/1148/

LCA2009: Microsoft man encounters Linux storm

,----[ Quote ]
| Crumpton, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Australia, had no idea of
| the passionate questioning he would come up against when he gave his talk,
| the last for the day, at a mini-conference titled "The Business of Open
| Source."
|
| Humour and deprecatory remarks are generally adopted when one tries to make
| oneself comfortable in an uncomfortable situation, and Crumpton went it whole
| hog.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22752/1148/

LCA2009: the leader of the band