Re: [News] A Look at OpenOffice.org 3.1

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

What's up in OOo 3.1?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the weekend the upload of DEV300m39 build started. This is the first | developer milestone after Feature Freeze for OOo 3.1. To bring it into a | final status the community projects can start their work. The L10N team can | take this version to check new strings for translation. The QA team can begin | to test the new features and make quality assurance for the general quality | of the product. `----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/what_s_up_in_ooo1

<snip>
Loving this... created a photoslideshow in OOo 3 on a SuSE Linux 11.1 PPC notebook, moved it to the server, now viewing and editing it in OOo 2.3.1 in a virtualised xp session (with only one compatibility issue - default styles have changed slightly between versions, but no biggie, hit no to applying the old default styles and the slideshow looks exactly the same). Via the Debian cluster. Heading on a P4 notebook running SuSE Pro 9.2.*

Can a consumer Windows installation do all that, out of the box?

*Why would I want to go to all that trouble?

a: because I can;
b: because I will NOT allow xp to run outside of a one-button-kill sandbox if I absolutely have to run it: I just don't trust it that far;
c: because I trust Linux as a VM host much more than I trust NT as one;
d: because I love to experiment and find workable solutions to problems I might run into from time to time (like the odd PC game that will not run in an API running on the Linux kernel, but will run on xp running in a VM - example: Generals. e: because I needed a solution that will allow me complete crossplatform support whatever software I might choose to run - win32, BSD, UNIX, Linux, MacOS/Classic**... my cluster does the fargin' /lot/.

**having three ppc nodes in there helps a lot for the really finicky stuff. Processing power is only limited by the number of nodes I can plug in before I overload my 7.2KW power feed...

--
TLP

- The following signature is encoded double-ROT-47. Unauthorised duplication and/or decryption is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

- Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.

 - No, I will not fix your computer.

 - Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

 - Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

 - Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

- I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!

 - If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

- Don't listen to the do-gooders, condoms are useless. They split, they leak and they burst. And the human stomach can't handle the impact of two kilos of cocaine.

- Users who XNA their Usenet posts are admitting that their ramblings aren't worth reading.

- (on Windows) You know why "last known good configuration" almost never works? Because the last known good configuration was a blank disk. - Sinister Midget, c.o.l.a. 15 Jan 2009

 - Here's to our wives and sweethearts; may they never meet.

- (on writing) I suggest words formed into sentences, occasionally divided by punctuation, then further constructed into paragraphs containing references to the subject matter, with a detailed analysis of that subject matter organised into chapters, and finally ending with a conclusion. Be sure to use your own words, and not those found elsewhere such as in a dictionary, otherwise you may be found guilty of copyright violation - an offence punishable by death in certain states of the USA. - Homer, c.o.l.a. 19 Jan 2009

- Forget nicotine patches, they don't smoke for shit and you only fit 3 in a rizla. I'm back to my 5 lighters a day.

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)