[News] Linux Gains Loads of Features, Active Directory Compatibility via Samba 4

  • Subject: [News] Linux Gains Loads of Features, Active Directory Compatibility via Samba 4
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:49:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kernel Log: What's new in 2.6.29 - Part 3: Kernel controlled graphics modes

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of 2.6.29-rc1 last weekend, Linus Torvalds concluded the
| first phase, called the merge window, of the development cycle. This phase
| allows for incorporating the substantial changes intended for the next kernel
| version into the source code management system of the Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-What-s-new-in-2-6-29-Part-3-Kernel-controlled-graphics-modes--/news/112431
http://tinyurl.com/7aooqt

Active Directory comes to Linux with Samba 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Enterprise networks now have an alternative choice to Microsoft Active
| Directory (AD) servers, with the open source Samba project aiming for feature
| parity with the forthcoming release of version 4, according to Canberra-based
| Samba developer Andrew Bartlett.
|
| Speaking at this year's linux.conf.au Linux and open source conference in
| Hobart, Bartlett said Samba 4 is aiming to be a replacement for AD by
| providing a free software implementation of Microsoft's custom protocols.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/273515/active_directory_comes_linux_samba_4

Recent:

Linux 2.6.29-rc1

,----[ Quote ]
| The merge window is over, and while it is quite possible that I missed a
| few merge requests in the crazy week that is behind us, apart from those
| we should now have most of the bulk of 2.6.29 merged up. And now it's just
| a small matter of making sure it's all stable and ready to go.

The innovations of Linux 2.6.28

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-Higher-and-Further-The-innovations-of-Linux-2-6-28--/features/112299