[News] New Linux Release Candidate and 4 New GNU/Linux Distributions

Linux 2.6.29-rc2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's out there now, or at least in the process of mirroring out.
|
| About half of the bulk is a late MIPS merge (tssk, tssk, but I really
| couldn't make myself care too much), and there are a few odd new drivers
| there too. In fact, of the non-MIPS code, drivers is about half of the
| remaining one, and then firmware (which is really drivers too but shows up
| separately) is half of _that_ remaining half.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/16/416

(2009-01-10) Topologilinux 7.0.1 released
,----[ Quote ]
| Currently only available at below ftp site.
| ftp://ftp.se.linux.org/distributions/topologilinux/Topologilinux-7.0.1/
| Would be great if you could help me getting ftp mirrors.
| Tell them to link against ftp://ftp.se.linux.org/distributions/topologilinux
| updates are available in the updates directory.
| Topologilinux is still 100% free and so the updates but please donate some
| money if you like this project.
| just press the donate button and donate.
| This is a bugfix release that should fix reported bugs reported in the 7.0.0
| release
| If you wonder why it has not been uploaded to Sourceforge yet.. read this
| info
| So help of this problem would also be appreciated.
`----

http://www.topologilinux.com/

What is AUSTRUMI-1.8.5 ?

,----[ Quote ]
| • Fastest Linux distribution with 3D support for Nvidia and Intel video cards
| • Contains all necessary basic programs for work and entertainment
| • The modern user interface into Latvian, Russian, English, Italian and Greek
|   languages
| • Simple boot from CD, flash drive or HDD
| • It is fitted out for the servers and workstations
`----

http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/

Clonezilla 1.2.1-33

http://www.clonezilla.org/

FreeNAS 0.69 (Kwisatz Haderach)

http://www.freenas.org/

Recent:

5 things you didn’t know about linux kernel code metrics

,----[ Quote ]
| I started with writing a small script that:
|
|    1. downloads a 2.6.0 kernel, analyzes it using SLOCCount written by David
|       Wheeler
|    2. patches to one step newer kernel and analyzes it using the same tool.
|    3. goes to number 2 until patches run out at 2.6.26
|
| Just in case I also used a different tool called cloc to analyze the same
| code. Word of comment on tools used is at the end of this post.
|
| This script ate 477MB of disk space with tarballs and bzipped patches.
| 1. The kernel has just reached 6 millions lines with 2.6.26!
| Linux kernel lines of code
|
| Linux kernel lines of code
|
| Yes, indeed, with 2.6.26 we’ve reached over 6 million lines of code. You can
| see that on the chart on the right (click for a normal size version).
|
| Both SLOCCount and CLOC show similar results. What is interesting here is
| that:
|
|     * there’s over a million of blank lines,
|     * and a million lines of comments (which are of course important too),
|     * the code shows a faster-than-linear growth characteristic,
|     * if current speed is maintained I predict we might get 7 million with
|       2.6.30 and 8 million with 2.6.33, just look at the forecast.
`----

http://linuxator.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-linux-kernel-code-metrics/
http://tinyurl.com/5p5cqh

Related:

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062807-linux-contributor-base.html

Amazing 3D view of linux kernels..