What?s the real story on the Windows Home Server data corruption ?

  • Subject: What?s the real story on the Windows Home Server data corruption ?
  • From: Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:59:48 +1100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

One of the benefits of Linux compared to Windows, is Linux does not have
data corruption problems, and if it did they would get fixed.

With Linux, you won't have to put up with the litany of feeble excuses to
explain away the problem from Microsoft.

Stable, reliable Linux home servers for Free, or pay for Microsoft junk ?

Read below and think twice before being sucked in by Microsoft promises
of "a more happy joy joy emotional experience for script kiddies under 13"

"A number of reports of data corruption that appeared to be related to this
issue turned out instead to be traceable to faulty network cards, hard
drive failures, or old routers with outdated firmware."

Lol, I think Microsoft left out "stretched 10baseT cables", "hard drives not
completely level", "sunspot activity", "bad Feng Sui" or "you probably ran
over a Gypsy last week" in their list.

Perhaps someone should tell them about how tcp/ip works ?

begin{quote}
In the software industry, data-damaging bugs are every product manager?s
nightmare. When a reproducible bug in this category is identified, sirens
go off, vacations get canceled, engineers lose sleep, and product managers
pop Maalox until it?s fixed.

That?s the context behind the alarmingly terse Knowledge Base article
946676, published last week. The entire article encompasses only a few
sentences, but it got the attention of anyone using Windows Home Server:

    When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses
Windows Home Server, the files may become corrupted when you save them to
the home server. Several people have reported issues after they have used
the following programs to save files to their home servers:

        * Windows Vista Photo Gallery
        * Windows Live Photo Gallery
        * Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
        * Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
        * Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
        * Microsoft Money 2007
        * SyncToy 2.0 Beta

    Additionally, there have been customer reports of issues with Torrent
applications, with Intuit Quicken, and with QuickBooks program files. Our
support team is currently trying to reproduce these issues in our labs.

I asked a senior member of the Windows Home Server team for more details
yesterday. Here?s what I learned:

This is not an issue that affects every Windows Home Server installation,
and the symptoms require several factors that are not mentioned in the KB
article. The largest contributing factor is when a home server is under
extreme load. If you?re doing a large, highly demanding file copy operation
in the background and you?re using one of the listed applications to edit a
file that?s stored on a shared folder on the home server, and you save the
edited file to the server, then you might see this bug.

In fact, it took a long time to get a reproducible series of steps for this
issue. A number of reports of data corruption that appeared to be related
to this issue turned out instead to be traceable to faulty network cards,
hard drive failures, or old routers with outdated firmware. It took some
very detailed bug reports, accompanied by sample files and server logs, to
create a consistently reproducible environment in the lab; that?s the
missing piece that it takes isolate the root cause and develop a patch.

Meanwhile, backups stored on a Windows Home Server are completely safe, as
are files copied to the server for safekeeping or streaming. This issue
affects only files that are saved directly from one of the listed
applications to a shared folder on a Windows Home Server.

No one I talked to at Microsoft is minimizing the impact of this bug. That
bare-bones KB article was specifically designed to ?get people to take it
seriously,? I was told.

So why wasn?t this issue identified months ago, during the long beta test
cycle for Windows Home Server? That?s the trouble with beta testing, as I
know from firsthand experience.
end{quote}

December 27th, 2007
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=348

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008