Re: comes: SCP Microsoft 86-dos license agreement ..

Verily I say unto thee, that Andrew Halliwell spake thusly:
> Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In article <ucsu36-bbe.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Halliwell
>> <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Cos I thought MSDOS was based on QDOS which was a ripoff of CP/M?
>>
>> It was a ripoff of CP/M in the same sense that Linux is a ripoff of
>> Unix.
>
> There is a difference. Can you tell what it is?

Let me help Stalker Smith with his research:

[quote]
"It never bothered me at all. I couldn't figure out what the heck Brown
was after when he came to visit me. Now I realize he was trying to trick
me into claiming Linus stole Linux from me. But I kept telling him that
Linus would probably never had written Linux if he hadn't studied MINIX
and my book carefully, and he used MINIX as his development platform and
a lot more. But the Linux code was all his own. It wasn't stolen." ~
Andrew Tanenbaum, author of MINIX.
[/quote]

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;925218285;pp;3;fp;16;fpid;1

Compare this to...

[quote]
Judge Zilly said Paterson falsely claimed Evans credited Kildall as the
"inventor" of DOS, weakening his case. At the same time, the Judge
found, Evans had faithfully recorded Paterson's denial of Kildall's view
that QDOS "ripped off" CP/M.

The Judge also agreed that Paterson copied CP/M's API, including the
first 36 functions and the parameter passing mechanism, although
Paterson renamed several of these. Kildall's "Read Sequential" function
became "Sequential Read", for example, while "Read Random" became
"Random Read".
[/quote]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/30/msdos_paternity_suit_resolved/

The former (Linux) is software developed on the /principles/ of another
OS, without actually reusing any of that prior OS' code. The latter
(QDOS, and subsequently MSDOS) is copyright violation and plagiarism.

But Stalker Smith probably isn't really interested in those "minor" details.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 04:21:44 up 71 days, 12:04,  5 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.05