[News] School Saves Millions by Dumping Microsoft for GNU/Linux

Dump Windows, save millions

,----[ Quote ]
| XAVIER School is demonstrating what most of us have long believed: an
| organization can safely dump Microsoft Windows and save millions of pesos by
| replacing it with Linux, a free and open source operating system.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business6_jan13_2009

"Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

                                --Philippe Kahn

Recent:

Open source community pushes Canberra on school computer fund

,----[ Quote ]
| We urge you to consider the cost-saving implications of advocating the use of
| free and open source software in schools to further the aims of the digital
| education revolution and maximise the impact of this critical investment in
| the future.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/251554/open_source_community_pushes_canberra_school_computer_fund

Will the NSW Govt put Linux in schools?

,----[ Quote ]
| The NSW Government's release this week of an expressions of interest tender
| to give low-cost laptops to every senior public school student in NSW is a
| big step, but will these systems be Windows or Linux?
|
| Rolling out from 2009 onwards, the program will mean a whole generation of
| students will be a great deal more technically literate, which can only be a
| good thing. However, the cost per device (only $500) is going to be a
| challenge for vendors to meet.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/under-the-microscope/soa/Blog-Will-the-NSW-Govt-put-Linux-in-schools-/0,2001098126,339293651,00.htm?feed=rss

Linux group to discuss free software in schools

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/12/26/stories/2008122650810200.htm

IT@School - Kerala's successfull mission!