Re: [News] 14 New Distributions Released in One Week

SomeBloke <stuff@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:03:34 -0500, Gary M. Stewart wrote:

>>> Cheap?
>>> Not me...
>>> I'm the candy man.
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> When I walk into a local watering hole I get a table instantly, and
>>> that's during the summer tourist season.
>>> Why?
>>> I am a good tipper.
>>> Minimum is 20 percent.
>>> I am very easy going and rarely complain. Note, if I get terrible
>>> service the tip will be terrible as well but that is rare.
>>>
>>> It doesn't take money to get good service however it takes
>>> understanding of the other person and having been on both sides I do
>>> understand.
>>>
>>> Try playing a piano bar full of mouth breathing drunks who want to hear
>>> Freebird all night long....
>>
>> BTW ever hear Freebird played on a Steinway? It sounds as bad as Maple
>> Leaf Rag played on bongos....
>
> In my younger days I waited tables for a short while, you certainly get a
> good perspective on how people behave. I found that parents expect you to
> look after their brats for them while they relax. Not with me they
> didn't! They're your kids you look after them.

Do you recall being a child, I wonder?  Do you recall how arrogant,
unpleasant, and dismissive people can be?

One reason I particularly like travelling in and around Europe is that
the attitude to children is so mature compared to that I often find in
the UK.  Particularly in the "latin" countries, children are, quite
rightly, seen as part of life, families, reality;  they are something we
all were, just as we shall all become old.

I'm not trying to defend poor parents, but anyone who uses the term
"brats" when referring to children would appear to have made a
determination regarding the nature of those children, ie., people,
before any communication might have taken place.

Children are not "your kids", they are a part of our society, just like
yourself, and everyone else.  They should be treated with as much
respect as anyone else, their needs and requirements considered, and
their inexperience at dealing with rude, insensitive, unhelpful,
dismissive and arrogant adults will probably make it even more difficult
to get what they want than an adult who is used to such treatment from
unwilling staff.

If you don't like the job, why don't you find one that you do like?  I'm
sure that there are jobs where children are not involved.

I have well behaved, polite, pleasant children.  If they are waited on
by rude, arrogant and unpleasant staff, then I inform the manager, I
leave, and I do not pay.   I certainly would *never* put up with anyone
referring to my children as "brats", or failing to treat them with
anything other than complete respect as due to anyone.

Personally, I think that there is much which could be done with respect
to the selection of appropriate people for waiting tasks, it takes a
very particular personality to do this job well, few people are good at
it.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |