[News] How Intellectual Monopolies Ruin the Economy, Become Farce

The Once and Future Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| This is yet another reason why the lock down of knowledge by intellectual
| monopolies is simply unacceptable in a world that will be predicated on
| sharing digital stuff, just as we used to share the physical stuff that
| Nature gave us a few hundred thousand years ago.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/once-and-future-economy.html

Siemens patent snafu sees Seagate slip away

,----[ Quote ]
| Siemens reckoned Seagate had infringed a group of patents it thought it owned
| concerned with multi-layer hard disk drive sensor technology in GMR (Giant
| Magneto-Resistive) read heads. Siemens claimed up to $1bn in damages, based
| on all Seagate hard drives shipping since 2000 using its patented technology.
| Subsequently this was reduced to $366m, which it calculated as a three per
| cent royalty on Seagate HDD sales of $12.2bn in the relevant period. The
| judge then restricted the damages claim to royalties on disk drive sales
| after November 24 2004, which amounted to $160m.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/06/seagate_escapes_siemens_patent_claim/

The (Intellectual Monopoly) Biter Bit

,----[ Quote ]
| The author of a proposed Chilean law to fight copyright infringement was
| greeted with the warning message "This copy of Microsoft Office is not
| genuine" when he was making a presentation about it.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/intellectual-monopoly-biter-bit.html

Recent:

European Patent Office staff on strike

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent examiners and other staff of the European Patent Office (EPO)
| demonstrated outside the European Commission offices Thursday, demanding a
| thorough re-examination of the EPO.
|
| [...]
|
| The staff union, SUEPO, say that lowering the quality of patents will have a
| disastrous effect on innovation which will affect every consumer. Their 'Save
| The EPO' campaign is not aimed at increasing wages but in reinforcing patent
| quality.
`----

http://www.expatica.com/be/articles/news/European-Patent-Office-staff-on-strike.html

Patentability of computer programs, recent Court of Appeal judgment and
questions raised by the President of the European Patent Office

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/pressnotice-3.htm