[News] Microsoft is Becoming a Patent Company

Microsoft has strongest patent portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies also can use their patent portfolios to disrupt competitors and
| gain revenue from companies that want to use their patented technologies.
| Microsoft, for example, has made claims that it holds patents for
| technologies in Linux, which open-source proponents viewed as a tactic to
| discourage people from using open-source software.
`----

http://mis-asia.com/news/articles/survey-microsoft-has-strongest-patent-portfolio

Microsoft Holds Top Patent Portfolio for 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Delivering on that broader goal, he says, includes coordinating thousands of
| patent applications across dozens of local patent offices. Microsoft’s Patent
| Group oversees nearly 10,000 issued US patents, with more than 17,000 US
| patents pending, as well as the growing portfolio of more than 30,000 issued
| and pending patents filed internationally.
`----

http://www.ag-ip-news.com/GetArticle.asp?Art_ID=6655&lang=en

Recent:

Microsoft Files Suit to Defend Visual Studio Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is not mentioned in any of the three complaints. However, in the
| suit that Microsoft filed against WebXchange, it says that the charges relate
| to the companies' use of Microsoft's Visual Studio software. By asking the
| court to declare WebXchange's patents invalid, Microsoft hopes to defend its
| customers FedEx, Dell and Allstate and spare the thousands of other Visual
| Studio users from similar suits, Microsoft says.
|
| FedEx, Dell and Allstate have already sought indemnification from Microsoft,
| Microsoft said in the lawsuit. Most large software makers like Microsoft
| indemnify their customers, meaning that if their products are found to cause
| harm including patent infringement, the software developer will bear the
| responsibility for the problems.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154014/.html?tk=rss_news

Guess which patents are not infringed in the Microsoft Visual Studio suit?

,----[ Quote ]
| WebXchange is suing Microsoft--or, rather, three of its customers--for
| allegedly infringing its patents in Microsoft Visual Studio, as CNET reports.
| Just desserts? Nah. Microsoft rarely sues anyone, preferring instead to
| threaten to sue.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10100893-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft in patent battle over Visual Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft filed this action to protect our customers and ourselves against
| spurious patent infringement lawsuits filed by WebXchange," Microsoft said in
| a statement. "We will demonstrate to the Court that WebXchange's patents are
| not infringed by Microsoft technology and that WebXchange's patents are
| invalid and unenforceable."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10099745-56.html

Microsoft takes mouse maker to court

,----[  Quote]
| Microsoft said it has filed a complaint with the International Trade
| Commission after failing to be able to negotiate a licensing deal with Primax
| Electronics. In the complaint, Microsoft is seeking an order barring Primax
| from importing infringing products into the United States.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10002919-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft goes to court over mouse patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/144827.asp?source=rss