[News] MAFIAA Loses to the Internet and to Oldies (Decent Music)

Back to the future: Vinyl record sales double in '08, CDs down

,----[ Quote ]
| Audiophiles have long argued that vinyl records offer better sound quality
| than CDs or MP3s, but their stoic loyalty in the face of change was seen as
| little more than a nostalgic bias during the 25 years in which digital
| recordings came to dominate the music industry. In recent years, however,
| sales of LPs -- that's short for long-playing records, kids -- have more than
| doubled online and are regaining overall market share, thanks to new converts
| looking for more than they can find in an MP3 selling for 99 cents online.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9124699

U.S. Album Sales Decline 14% While Online Track Sales Surge

,----[ Quote ]
| Lil Wayne’s “Tha Carter III” was the best-selling album of 2008, a year in
| which total album sales fell 14 percent as consumers continued to buy single
| songs online, such as top-seller “Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aC7ekniUw9Fs&refer=us

Recent:

RIAA Stops Suing Individuals: Are We Home Free?

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of its usual strategy of pinning scofflaws and wringing them through
| the court system, the RIAA will shift the burden to ISPs. When it appears as
| though an ISP customer is downloading illegally, the RIAA will contact the
| ISP and it will now be the ISP's responsibility to slap wrists via e-mail. If
| the actions do not cease, more e-mails will come; until finally, the alleged
| criminal's Internet access is either watered down or shut off, or they see
| themselves in court.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155769/riaa_p2p_lawsuits.html?tk=rss_news

Internet Filtering Appearing On Various Wishlists For Obama

,----[ Quote ]
| It's tough to get that worked up about the various "wishlists" being sent by
| different interest groups to President-elect Obama. After all, you'd expect
| the groups to basically push for their entire agenda, and there's no
| indication that an Obama administration will agree to any of these -- but
| it's still worth watching. For example, the MPAA's wishlist includes plenty
| of forced filtering and a "three strikes" policy that Europe recently
| rejected as taking away basic human rights (there's that MPAA spirit!).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/1826113082.shtml

Internet Censors Must Be Accountable For The Things They Break

,----[ Quote ]
| Censorship technologies are purveyed as a way to protect us from the evils of
| child abuse. But they're costly systems that are unlikely to actually protect
| anyone or prevent any child abuse — they're more likely to interfere with the
| way the Internet works and hamper innovation by online communities.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/12/internet-censors-must-be-accountable-things-they-b

Labor plan to censor internet in shreds

,----[ Quote ]