Re: [News] More GNU/Linux on Sub-notebooks (EEE 900)

  this bit o' wisdom:

> The Asis EEE 900: A Nice Little Surprise
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The computer has built-in wireless, a LAN port plus a
>| couple USB ports, and with pre-installed Linux Xandros it?s
>| plug-and-play ready. Just flip it open, hit the on switch
>| and about 10 seconds later (it loads fast!) the laptop is
>| ready for use.
> `----
>
> http://www.dailyindia.com/blog/221129136.php
>
> Netbooks Aren't Bad, Just Misunderstood
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/hardware/article.php/3793846

   But these devices have a high boomerang rate, too: They go out, and come
   right back. If anyone did anything wrong, it was the retailers in the
   presentation of the device, Peddie said.

   "People realized they didn't have the range of apps, they have a small
   screen size and it led to a poor experience. But they were never meant as
   a replacement for low-cost, thin and light notebooks," Peddie said.

   Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis for NPD Group, agreed that
   netbooks' high rate of return has been due to dissatisfaction over their
   intended purpose.

This point made is especially interesting to note:

   "There's certainly a market of consumers and business people for whom an
   inexpensive, lightweight device can be used effectively by someone as a
   second computer," he said. "It's difficult for [netbooks] to fulfill its
   true promise without wireless broadband."

   He added that mobile broadband would give the netbook viability in the
   same way Wi-Fi really validated the notebook. "Connectivity is going to
   be key to using it outside of a place where you might enjoy a longer
   usage session, like a coffee shop," he added.

I got my little machine primarily as a way to sneak in some extra coding
without carrying a beastie laptop everywhere, but others thinking of
netbooks surely want continuous access to the internet the same way as
cell phones.

Humor:

   One time my daughter was running around searching:  "Where's my cell
   phone???"

   I answered, "In your cell."

The look she gave me was more withering than anything the idiot trolls have
ever managed.