[News] [Rival] Windows and Microsoft Are Rookies, Unready for Business

Why Microsoft is just not ready for the enterprise.

,----[ Quote ]
| In my last post I had made some comments about the
| Microsoft Windows not being capable of enterprise high
| performance computing. In the comments (upon request) I had
| posted some details on the SCSI subsystem of the Operating
| System, talking of the scatter gather lists when sequential
| SCSI commands are being coalesced just prior to being sent
| to the SCSI-based media. I wanted to continue on that topic
| and focus specifically on the NTFS file system and why it
| too is not intended for enterprise class usage.
|
| [...]
|
| With these limitations well known, then why do we still try
| to deploy Microsoft Windows in environments it was not
| suited for? The answer is familiarity. Microsoft for the
| most part owns the client/end-user market and with that the
| end-user has gotten too familiar and too comfortable with
| its platform. In turn what was built for home (and to an
| extent small business) use has leaked into an environment
| where it is not ready for. Please understand that I am not
| trying to preach against Microsoft and attack them. As many
| others in the high performing server/storage industry I
| have come to understand where certain problems originate
| from and that includes the limitations of the Windows
| platform. If you, the reader, feel something different with
| Microsoft and their role in enterprise class computing
| please feel free to comment. I know that I may not always
| be correct in my viewpoints and if you can shed any
| additional light I would very grateful.
`----

http://blog.hydrasystemsllc.com/2008/12/31/why-microsoft-is-just-not-ready/

"There’s no company called Linux,
there’s barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux
sort of springs organically from
the earth. And it had, you know, the
characteristics of communism that
people love so very, very much about it.
That is, it’s free."

                                           --Steve Ballmer

"Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that
an open Internet with protocols anyone
can implement is communism; it was set
up by that famous communist agent, the
US Department of Defense."

                                          --Richard Stallman

Recent:

Windows Vista Ready?

,----[ Quote ]
| The majority of new members and guests
| are here because they want to install
| Windows XP on systems which came with
| Vista pre-installed. Others are dual
| booting with XP and Vista because they
| do not want to, or are unable to
| solely depend on Vista to do what they
| need their systems for.
`----

http://www.pro-networks.org/blog/index.php/vista/14

Related:

Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't Lose This Product Key!
|
| Video blanking hassles
|
| Windows XP networking: Not for amateurs