Re: Why COLA and Linux advocacy are fundamentally broken.

Rex Ballard wrote:

> Most of the Linux advocates in this group don't have an income that
> depends on software royalties.  They work as consultants, operators,
> system administrators, often combining OSS software such as Linux with
> proprietary software.  Many use both Windows and Linux, as
> workstations and as servers.  They have enough experience to have some
> very strong preferences.

I use Linux at home, I don't make a living using it at all. I'm a phone
switch tech. The closest I come to Linux at work is UNIX, which runs our
phone switch (Nortel Option switch). The next major release is supposed to
be based on Linux. Unfortunately, Nortel built a lot of crap on the Windows
platform. Call Pilot, Contact Center and (originally) BCM (which is now
based on Linux) are some of their failures. Their old stuff, Meridian Mail
(for example) used to be rock solid -- it used to all be built on UNIX.
Avaya, formerly Lucent, formerly AT&T also started experimenting with
Windows on their peripheral equipment. It failed for them also -- and
they're moving "back" to Linux on their voice mail systems (actually moving
from UNIX to Windows to Linux -- so it's a "return" of sorts). Avaya's
switches, like Nortel's, have always run on UNIX and they're also going to
Linux on these. I've read that even Cisco is moving toward Linux. But
that's a VOIP switch -- and doesn't come close to the "five 9" reliability
of a "real" phone switch.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"