[News] [Rival] 'Security' Software for Windows Does More Harm Than Good

Benign security warnings have trained users to ignore them

,----[ Quote ]
| It should come as no surprise that most Internet users ignore security
| certificate warnings, but a new study examines just how severe this behavior
| is and why people do it. Hint: it's because legit websites cry wolf with SSL
| warnings on a regular basis.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/07/benign-security-warnings-have-trained-users-to-ignore-them.ars

AVG temporarily blocked iTunes, labeling it malware

,----[ Quote ]
| AVG's free antivirus product temporarily blocked users from getting to iTunes
| late last week, detecting it as a Trojan, the company said on Monday.
|
| For about five hours on Friday starting around 4 p.m. PDT, AVG users couldn't
| access iTunes because of the false alarm.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10296755-245.html

Report finds fake antivirus on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| PandaLabs found 1,000 samples of fake antivirus software in the first quarter
| of 2008. In a year, that number had grown to 111,000. And in the second
| quarter of 2009, it reached 374,000, Luis Corrons, technical director of
| PandaLabs said in a recent interview.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10298253-245.html

Recent:

Are we too naive by believing that GNU/Linux is more secure by design?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, there are people that say that it's just that GNU/Linux is less
| attractive to malware software because there are so few of us GNU/Linux
| users. I have always thought that this is crap but anyway....
|
| Now, think about the things that FLOSS developers get to do:
| - Crack encrypted DVDs
| - Allow for communication between Microsoft Windows hosts (with a twisted SMB
| protocol) and *NIX hosts before Microsoft (reluctantly... but with a lot of
| PR spin, as usual) released the documentation about it
| - Synchronize with iTunes
| - Running GNU/Linux on basically any piece of equipment worthy of running it
| (with or without support by the vendor).. and some others that aren't worthy
| but....
| - Brake every DRM mechanism ever built
`----

http://maratux.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-we-too-naive-by-believing-that.html

Related:

Secure By Design: How Guardian Digital Secures EnGarde Secure Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125195?rdf