[News] Free Software Sneaks Into Healthcare in the US

A Glass Slipper?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Whiles is highly satisfied with the Medsphere open-source VistA
| system's functionality. “I would put open-source VistA up against Epic or any
| product any day,” he opines. “No system is a panacea, and neither is open
| VistA. There are certain functional areas that are not well-developed, simply
| because of the background, such as women's and children's services, OB/GYN,
| and pediatrics, labor and delivery; but that's simply because the VA doesn't
| provide those services.” But as other hospitals begin to implement Medsphere
| open-source VistA, he says, those clinical areas will add functionality over
| time.
`----

http://www.healthcare-informatics.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications::Article&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=94678414B3964BA8B7A57D103C56B56B

Medsphere's Open Source Health Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Medsphere is the provider for OpenVista, the commercial open source
| implementation of the Veteran's Adminsitration's VistA package. Medsphere
| spent the better part of the last seven years customizing it for commercial
| use, extending the ecosystem around it to make a commercial version, and
| driving acceptance of it in various. There are over two hundred different
| installations of OpenVista in use right now, both in hospitals around the
| U.S. and in the Indian Health Service (the latter of which accounts for a
| fair percent of that installed base). Hospitals like Midland Memorial
| Hospital (in Texas) have been using OpenVista and reaping its benefits for
| some time now.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/07/medspheres_open.html;jsessionid=3CFIOQQUU3050QSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Recent:

Will New Certification Criteria Fuel Open Source E-Health Records?

,----[ Quote ]
| But moving forward, new certification "paths" recently announced by CCHIT
| will be a boost for modular software packages, especially those from smaller
| software vendors and open source developers, as well as their potential
| customers, including doctor practices that don't need fancier software tools,
| as well as health care organizations that have a hybrid mix of health IT
| systems featuring legacy and best-of-breed applications.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/06/will_new_certif.html;jsessionid=PJI4UKSFCJEJIQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN

Healthcare Conference to Focus on Open Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/healthcare-conference-to-focus-on-open-source-solutions