[News] Business Win for Free Software and Other Positive Annoucements

Synaq named Zimbra VAR in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| Managed Linux services provider, Synaq, has been appointed as one of the
| first Zimbra VARs in Africa. Synaq has trained and certified its technical
| and sales teams to provide consulting, integration and installation support
| of Zimbra collaboration suite (ZCS) - an open source, e-mail and
| collaboration software platform. Zimbra, which is a Yahoo company, claims to
| offer one of the fastest growing collaboration platforms in the world.
`----

http://www.channelemea.com/spip.php?article1641

Open Administration for Schools Makes the Grade and Joins click2try(TM) Online
Catalog of Education Software

,----[ Quote ]
| click2try http://www.click2try.com) today announced the addition of Open
| Administration for Schools (http://richtech.ca/openadmin/) to its online
| catalog of virtualized Open Source applications. A Community site, click2try
| makes it easy for users to try applications for free and use by subscription.
`----

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/07-28-2009/0005067214&EDATE=

Rock the Vote Goes "Open Source" in Partnership with OSDV Foundation's
TrustTheVote Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The TrustTheVote Project will provide its open source technology platform to
| enable Rock the Vote to streamline and improve the user-facing registration
| process and help State elections offices process registration forms.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090728005563&newsLang=en

Digium(R) Announces Keynote Speakers for AstriCon '09

,----[ Quote ]
| DiBona, an internationally recognized advocate of open source technology,
| will discuss the role of Google in open source projects. Smith is an IBM
| Distinguished Engineer and CTO for the integrated IBM Smart Business
| Platform. In his keynote, Smith will discuss how IBM is using Asterisk and
| other open source technologies to design new solutions for small and
| mid-sized businesses.
`----

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2445732/

Related:

Digium: Driving Revenue in an Open Source World

,----[ Quote ]
| In the world of open source, it seems like a contradiction in terms for a
| company focused on advancing open source communications solutions to also be
| at work generating revenue. As difficult as this balance may seem, that is
| exactly what Digium strives to do, and so far has been quite successful in
| the process.
`----

http://ip-telephony.tmcnet.com/topics/articles/25703-digium-driving-revenue-an-open-source-world.htm

Digium Takes Home Three More Industry Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| The company and its founder, Mark Spencer, have also appeared on
| numerous “company to watch” and “influencer” lists, including 2008
| installations from eWeek, Linux Magazine and VoIP-News.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/digium-takes-home-three-more-industry-awards,351938.shtml

Digium's Open Source Voice Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The unified communications space is very hot right now, and Digium, with its
| open source approach, is getting plenty of notice. We caught up with them at
| VoiceCon a couple of weeks ago.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/04/digiums_open_so.html

Digium Founder Mark Spencer Recounts the History of Open Source Asterisk PBX

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark got started with Linux early in 1994 Slackware  (kernel version 1.09).
| One of the few in Auburn, AL at the time  that knew anything about Linux.
| After a stint with Adtran (a global provider of communications equipment) he
| moved out on his own starting a company called Linux Support Services. Mark
| traded his services for space in the back of a local computer store in
| Huntsville, AL. He started by building his own computer and eventually built
| his own phone switch informed by his experience developing GAIM (now Pidgin)
| among other open source projects.
|
| [...]
|
| He attributes their early success contributions from this technical audience
| with contributions from hundreds of developers and feedback generated by over
| a million downloads in 2007. They also benefited from the fact that
| traditional telephone systems were very expensive and features didn’t
| translate from one system to another. Asterisk was very cost effective,
| configurable, and capable of VOIP in an industry with no clear leader. Also
| there was a fundamental shift in the industry from hardware switches to
| software switches.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/03/16/digium-founder-mark-spencer-recounts-the-history-of-open-source-asterisk-pbx/

Junction Networks uses Asterisk to tailor VoIP to customer demands

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/125794