[News] 'Open Source' Uses as a PR Ploy by Microsoft, Adobe, Intuit

Parsing the “open” in Adobe’s Open Source Media Framework announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s not necessarily surprising that during the week of O’Reilly’s Open
| Source Convention (aka OSCON), companies release open source code — just as
| they often release flashy consumer products during tradeshows to garner the
| most buzz from contingent news cycles.
|
| [...]
|
| Adobe and Microsoft are now engaged in similar forms of open-washing,
| applying the tastes-great, less-filling label, while doing everything they
| can to maintain their control and dominance in a given area — further
| cementing the historic distinction between “free” and “open”.
`----

http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/07/21/parsing-the-open-in-adobes-open-source-media-framework-announcement/

Intuit launches open source community

,----[ Quote ]
| Intuit, the makers of popular Quicken and Quickbooks software, today
| announced the out-of-beta launch of code.intuit.com, an open-source community
| where users can share information to enhance SaaS apps via the Intuit Partner
| Platform, announced last month.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21785

Recent:

When Would You Use OOXML and When ODF? -- What is OOXML For?

,----[ Quote ]
| Can anyone tell me what OOXML is for, other than for opening legacy Microsoft
| documents? What else is it for? When would you choose OOXML and when would
| you choose ODF, if you were, let's say, a government or a government agency?
|
| [...]
|
| Rick Jelliffe recently said that OOXML "is fundamentally intended to document
| a format for a pre-existing technology and feature set of recent proprietary
| systems."
|
| Gulp. How is that a proper purpose for an "open" standard?
|
| Well, leave that aside for the moment. Let's assume that you are a government
| or an agency and you really want to make sure all citizens can access
| documents and interface with them, including GNU/Linux users and Microsoft
| users? Then when would you use one or the other?

Microsoft markets well (Is Aras an OSS marketing ploy?)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/microsoft_marke_1.html