[News] Open Source Conference Succeeds Outside Portland

Could open source have built Silicon Valley?

,----[ Quote ]
| In Silicon Valley, innovation is the fertilizer that makes the crops grow.
| With open source, software is more like topsoil, and those who nurture that
| soil believe they will prosper longer than those who just throw fertilizer on
| it.
| Invention is the plant corporations harvest for their profit. Software is the
| environment on which everyone’s survival depends.
| OSCON, I think, is better off in Portland.

OSCON 2009 online

Open source conference likely back in Portland next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Organizers of a major open source technology conference said today there's
| a "good chance" they'll return the event to Portland next summer following
| one year in San Jose.
| The weeklong O'Reilly Open Source Convention spent six years in Portland
| before moving to California for the 2009 event, which wrapped up this
| afternoon. At the convention's closing address, in response to a question,
| organizers told attendees they would probably move the event back to Portland
| in 2010.

OSCON interview snippets

,----[ Quote ]
| OSCON 2009 is now drawing to a close, and, before we hop on a flight back to
| the UK, we spent an hour or two typing up just a few snippets from some of
| the interviews we conducted at the conference. So, if you'd like to read what
| Jacob Kaplan-Moss thinks about Google, what Jim Zemlin thinks about Larry
| Lessig, what Michael Tiemann thinks about lobbyists, what Stormy Peters
| thinks about KDE, what Evan Prodromou thinks about Miguel de Icaza and what
| Bradley Kuhn thinks about Mono, read on...

OSCON 2009 - Expo Hall

OSCON: Building Belonging (in communities)

,----[ Quote ]
| Jono suggests that "Stories are vessels of best practice." Whenever a
| community shares a story, it usually has a message attached to it--an
| anecdote that usually comes to some concrete point. Stories give community
| members a sense of purpose and belonging; he encourages people to tell
| stories in their communities.

OSCON so far

,----[ Quote ]
| OSCON has a major problem: There’s way too much to do! So far, this week has
| been chock full of excitement.
| Though not part of the “official” OSCON program, the Community Leadership
| Summit started on Saturday. Lots of people from OSCON were in attendance, but
| also a fair number of people from communities that have nothing to do with
| open source. This was a pretty good mix. A few hundred people showed up
| Saturday morning, and a smaller crowed turned up Sunday.

Google O'Reilly Open Source Awards announced

,----[ Quote ]