Re: [News] How Windows Habits and Flaws Create Misconceptions About GNU/Linux

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:39:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Does Linux Have a 'Safe Mode'?
>
> Yea it does.
>
> It's called "Single User Mode".

Doh!

That is the Single User Mode!
It is not the 'Safe Mode'.

What you should really ask is why do windummies
need a safe mode? What is it they are running
from to get to safety? PISTA? ExPEE? Viruses?
Bad software running amok on the PC?
All of it?

The only time I ever get switched to Single User mode
is if X config got corrupted and I didn't back up
before the corruption and the boot script landed me
in a Single User Mode shell. Then I can manually edit the
X config from stuff I know.
At all other times, you can simply go startx and
do the repairs inside X. There is no need for a
'Safe Mode'. You always land in some shell (not necessarily
Single User Mode) and get on with it.

Linux shells - I mean Linux Power Shells - are everywhere
and there is nothing like it in windummy world.
It runs from smallest embedded devices to supercomputers.