[News] Canonical's CTO Reminds Ubuntu Users That They Use Debian GNU/Linux Branch

  • Subject: [News] Canonical's CTO Reminds Ubuntu Users That They Use Debian GNU/Linux Branch
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:52:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Community inertia in Debian and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, Ubuntu is a branch of Debian. Once a project grows beyond a certain
| point, it becomes difficult to make major changes on the spot. Major changes
| rarely come out perfect the first time, so they may need intensive regression
| testing before they can be considered stable enough even for development
| purposes. The changes also need to be coordinated with other developers,
| because they may interfere with their work.
`----

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/07/27/community-inertia-in-debian-and-ubuntu/

Launchpad Open-Sourced. Now What?

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttleworth, a former Debian developer, has spent millions of his own
| dollars funding Ubuntu and by all indications is genuinely committed to free
| software. If he decides to keep some code proprietary, he’s doing what he
| truly believes to be in the long-term interests of Ubuntu. But only time will
| tell whether Canonical’s policies will pay off.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/07/27/launchpad-open-sourced-now-what/

Recent:

Health Check: Ubuntu and Debian's special relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is five years old. The release of Jaunty Jackalope coincided with the
| fifth anniversary of a meeting that Mark Shuttleworth called of a dozen or so
| Debian Developers in his London flat in April 2004 to map out his project to
| create a distribution that was capable of taking Linux to the masses. During
| the five years since that meeting Ubuntu has sprung from nothing to become
| the most popular Linux on the street.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Health-Check-Ubuntu-and-Debian-s-special-relationship--/features/113260/0

Launchpad and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell’s Chief Marketing Officer John Dragoon has taken the opportunity to
| compare Canonical with Novell partner Microsoft on his blog. As
| he “commend[s] Microsoft for taking this very significant step”, he points
| out that the 20,000 lines of source code contributed by Microsoft to the
| Linux kernel “will far surpass those contributed by Canoncial[sic]“.
|
| John credits Novell colleague Greg Kroah-Hartman for helping Microsoft to
| achieve this historic milestone. Greg is fond of counting lines of code in
| the Linux kernel, and based on his commentary elsewhere, I’m sure it was his
| pleasure to provide this statistic. I haven’t checked the figures myself, but
| it’s certainly believable that our contributions to the Linux kernel haven’t
| amounted to 20,000 lines of code.
|
| Before we congratulate Microsoft and Novell too heartily, though, let’s get
| beyond the numbers, and look at what those 20,000 lines of code actually do.
| What can Linux do now that it couldn’t do before Microsoft’s contribution?
| According to Microsoft’s press release, it’s a device driver which enables
| Linux to run much faster—<b>on Windows servers</b>. That’s right, it helps us
| to get more value out of our expensive Windows Server 2008 licenses by
| consolidating our Linux servers into Windows Hyper-V virtual machines. It
| lets us put Windows in control of our hardware, and rely on Microsoft to
| allow it to perform well, for as long as that makes sense for them
| strategically.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft’s contribution to Linux creates new business opportunities for
| Microsoft by locking customers into their technology. Canonical’s
| contribution of Launchpad helps free software developers do what they do
| best, and benefits Canonical by making it easier for us to package,
| distribute, maintain, and provide services for free software.
`----

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/07/21/launchpad-and-microsoft/

Related:

The Difference Between Debian and Ubuntu (part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.debiantoday.com/the-difference-between-debian-and-ubuntu-part-1/