[News] In Defence of ODF: New Essay, Site, Project

A twisty path to Chrome in the enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, all of this is pure pretend. And even if ODF were to become the dominant
| document standard, Microsoft could support it robustly, although that might
| mean that some of Word’s formatting niceties wouldn’t make the transition.
| Would business be ok with that? For creators, probably yes; it’d be good to
| be relieved of the expectation that you will be a document designer. For
| readers, no. We’ll continue to want highly formatted documents. But, then ODF
| + formatting specifications can produce quite respectably formatted docs, and
| that capability will only get better.

ODF Workshop

The OpenDocument API - ODFDOM

,----[ Quote ]
| The ODFDOM Toolkit API is a framework written in Java and designed to provide
| an easy common way to create, access and manipulate OpenDocument format (ODF)
| files, without requiring detailed knowledge of the ODF specification.

Malaysia to Switch Government Agencies to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| To date, 462 agencies from a total of 720 agencies have implemented Open
| Source Software, which managed to provide a savings of more than RM47
| million, said Mampu deputy director of ICT (information and communications
| technology) policy and planning division, Tan King Ing.

Malaysian Government Saves Big with Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source in the public sector seemed to be all the rage in 2008, with
| government agencies all over Europe — not to mention agencies of the EU
| itself — adopting, and in many cases, mandating Open Source software and
| standards. Of course, Europe was not the only continent cozying up with a
| copy of the source code — governments in Africa, Asia, North & South America,
| and all over the South Pacific were exploring and implementing Open Source in
| 2008. Now, one of those governments has revealed the savings-side of OSS, and
| the numbers they're tossing around are pretty nice.

OSS adoption gaining ground

,----[ Quote ]
| OPEN-SOURCE software ­adoption is set to experience a steady growth in
| Malaysia, said open-source technology ­solutions provider, Red Hat Inc

Open source software helps govt save RM32mil

,----[ Quote ]
| The government managed to save RM32 million in expenditure through the
| implementation of open source software (OSS) in government agencies and
| departments, Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan
| said.
| He said the saving for the first phase of the project, involving OSS
| implementation in 15 agencies and departments, was RM10 million.
| Some RM22 million was saved in the second phase which involved the
| installation of OpenOffice software on 10,682 computers and the use of 174
| products from the open source competency centre, he said.

Malaysia seen as top market for open-source convergence

,----[ Quote ]
| Malaysia is a leading adopter of open-source convergence software, according
| to key speakers at the AsterConference 2008, held recently in Kuala Lumpur.

Let's complain about Microsoft restricting choice in the market (part deux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Yoon Kit wrote about being forced to pay the Microsoft tax when buying
| computers from computer manufacturers (eg Dell). I submitted a complaint to
| the Ministry of Internal Trade and Consumer Affairs and received an official
| acknowledgment from the ministry that the Penang branch office will
| investigate the complaint.
| I strongly urge everybody who uses non-Microsoft operating systems on their
| computers bought from Dell or any other manufacturers to write in through the
| web interface and make an official complaint. Make your voices heard so that
| we can stop being forced to pay for software we don't use!

OpenOffice.org deployed in Malaysian Schools

,----[ Quote ]