[News] Reasons to Really Care About GNU/Linux and Free Software

Why do you like Free Software and Ubuntu?

,----[ Quote ]
| I consider software important. Really really important. Why?
| Most people don't really understand just how much power software has over our
| current society. Let's pretend all the software in the world was really just
| one single person. What could that person do?
`----

http://gquigs.blogspot.com/2009/07/why-do-you-like-free-software-and.html

Recent:

Should You Care About Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Once you have loaded Linux onto your machine, what then? You need software
| and games. Corel reports more than a million downloads of its Word Perfect 8
| for Linux. Loki Software has ported the game Civilization to Linux.
`----

http://netguido.com/should-you-care-about-linux/

My Free Choice to Move to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Until about 5 weeks ago.
|
| I had suddenly felt the urge to drop Vista and stop using OS X.  And I did.
| Here were my reasons why:
|
|    1. Macs are more expensive in the long-run. Sticking with OS X means
|    sticking with premium-priced Apple hardware.  I know there
|    are “hackintoshes” (e.g. ways to run OS X on non-Apple hardware), but I
|    would not rely on those hackintoshes as my main machine.  I also
|    understand the argument that one “saves on time”.  Conceptually, that
|    makes sense.
|    2. Vista is just slow. Resource-hog. Annoying pop-ups. I used Vista
|    Business on my Lenovo Thinkpad X200 and while it was an decent experience,
|    it was still too slow.  Especially compared to XP. And that’s already
|    using ReadyBoost.
|    3. Linux was interesting to try. Free software. Community-driven and
|    supported. Great performance (at least that’s what I had read).  Stable
|    software.
`----

http://opendaily.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/my-free-choice-to-move-to-linux/

10 things Linux does better than OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| #1: Flexibility
|
| [...]
|
| #2: Open source
|
| [...]
|
| #3: Command line
|
| [...]
|
| #4: Hardware requirements
|
| [...]
|
| #5: Security
|
| [...]
|
| 6. Portability
|
| [...]
|
| #7: Cost
|
| [...]
|
| #8: More available software
|
| [...]
|
| #9: Not so dumbed-down
|
| [...]
|
| #10: Keyboard efficiency
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=461

Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29/moving-mac-ubuntu-switching/