[News] GNU/Linux Responsible for Crushing Microsoft This Quarter

[Parody:] Press reports dazzling quarter for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The world’s largest software maker said it had been affected by weakness in
| the global personal computer and server markets, particularly by having to
| sell Windows XP for $5 to keep netbooks from going entirely Linux.

Microsoft Profit down 17% on Ubuntu, Google, Apple threats

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft profit is down 17%, and cited is long term threats that are
| materializing on it’s doorstep, Ubuntu Linux and Apple and the newly
| announced Google OS
| Ubuntu Linux has been making serious inroads in the netbook market as a
| desktop of choice for many lower powered machines called netbooks, The Google
| OS is vaporware for now… but the threat exists.

Crashing PC sales send Microsoft profits tumbling

,----[ Quote ]
| But there are other challenges abroad which the firm has dealt with rather
| less effectively – the effects of competition and the changing nature of the
| IT business to name but two. Its Windows operating system may still reign
| supreme numerically, but for how much longer? It faces two serious
| challenges, firstly from the various homemade flavours of Linux-based OS’s
| out there, and secondly from arch-rival Google, which is developing its own
| PC operating system to go head-to-head with Windows.
| Linux is free to use already, and the Google system is likely to be so, too.
| So the $64m question is, how much longer will MS be able to go on selling
| very expensive OS’s and equally expensive applications when its key rivals
| will offer 80% of the functionality, and cost next to nothing?

Microsoft faces new threat as portable devices open doors

,----[ Quote ]
| It is six years since Steve Ballmer issued a wake-up call to Microsoft's
| developers, warning of the threat posed by the Linux operating system and
| other open source projects.

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]