[News] Stronger Intellectual Monopolies Cause More Harm Than Good

In China And India, Stronger Intellectual Property Is Unnecessary

,----[ Quote ]
| Stronger intellectual property may also be unnecessary in another way.
| Although they are promoted as a tool for enhancing economic competitiveness,
| readers of Techdirt will know that their effectiveness is, at most,
| questionable. In the 1980s, there was a boom in American patenting activity,
| seemingly corresponding with changes to intellectual property laws that were
| made in response to worries about diminishing national competitiveness
| (Dahlman 2001). A measure of useful innovation, Total Factor Productivity,
| should have increased accordingly with the rise in useful, novel and
| non-obvious inventions, but this has not been the case (Boldrin 2008),
| providing compelling evidence that, contrary to common usage, patent activity
| is not equitable with economic benefits.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090531/0908085070.shtml

Costly Drugs Known as Biologics Prompt Exclusivity Debate

,----[ Quote ]
| For starters, whatever the exclusivity period, biologic drugs would also
| continue to be protected from copycats by patents. And in many cases, the
| patent protection would last longer than the exclusivity period, making the
| Congressionally mandated exclusivity a moot point.
|
| Genentech’s Avastin, for instance, has patent protection until 2019 — 15
| years after the drug’s 2004 approval by the F.D.A. The company’s breast
| cancer drug, Herceptin, has patents that extend 21 years from its 1998
| approval.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/business/22biogenerics.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Another bad day for IP auctions as first ICAP sale hits record low

,----[ Quote ]
| I have just heard the results of the first ICAP Ocean Tomo IP auction, held
| this afternoon in Chicago. According to the reports I have had, a total of
| just over $1.5 million was raised, excluding buyer and seller premiums. This
| is lower than any amount raised at any Ocean Tomo auction and is comfortably
| less than the approximately $2.75 million generated in San Francisco in
| March - which itself was seen as pretty disastrous.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/detail.aspx?g=2052b9b1-18c7-4827-8edf-e4bd4c2c5478

Recent:

harmfulpatents.org

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 20 years after medical expert systems were first developed, the
| USPTO issued two patents simply on the concept of using a computer to help
| physicians choose medical treatments. A company that purchased these patents
| claims that "the diagnosis and treatment of most chronic diseases will fall
| under the claims of these patents." Already it has filed patent infringement
| suits against seven companies in three years and it threatened to sue a
| university for hosting a freely available HIV database. Perhaps most
| startling of all, that same university -- where much of the seminal research
| on expert systems took place -- entered into a licensing agreement intended
| to limit the use of the HIV database, which had been created by one of its
| own faculty.
`----

http://www.harmfulpatents.org/

Do Patents Kill? A Strange Twist in the Ramkumar vs Samsung Saga

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://spicyipindia.blogspot.com/2009/05/do-patents-kill-strange-twist-in.html