Re: [News] Fast Booting in Linux Bcomes Standard

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Eyeing Google, Splashtop partners with Yahoo for instant-on web search

See! Told you!
Yahoo can make money by alloying itself to Linux and not
with micoshaft which will become its doom.
If yahoo starts off with being on the splashtop distro, it can
graudate to making and selling netbooks with Linux
just like Google is doing and make a lot of money by offering
something unique that others are unable to provide with their
netbooks and distros like alternative or even main stream
shopping experiences.

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | DeviceVM plans to release the instant search-enabled update to Splashtop
> | to PC makers in August and to end users a month after that.
> |
> | That will beat Google, which only plans to release the source code and
> | betas of Chrome OS sometime this year.
> |
> | For now, Splashtop remains atop the instant-on Linux market, whose other
> | entrants include Phoenix Technologies Ltd.'s HyperSpace and Xandros
> | Inc.'s Presto.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.ca/news/article/a7bf6654c0a800060021a44ebc10d4a7
pg0.htm

> Recent:
>
> Fast-boot environment moves to Moblin
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Phoenix Technologies announced that its fast-boot "HyperSpace"
> | technology is now "aligned" with the Moblin project and that it will
> | work with Intel to promote the technologies to netbook and nettop OEMs
> | and ODMs. HyperSpace will improve the Linux-based Moblin stack's already
> | considerable capabilities for fast-boot and power management, says
> | Phoenix.
> `----
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2898374972.html?kc=rss
>

> Ramdisks - Now We Are Talking Hyperspace!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Ramdisks are usually spoken of in hushed tones when sysadmins get
> | together. Some view them with awe because of their performance and some
> | view them with skepticism and say they are only useful for creating
> | benchmarks. Almost all of them agree that using them on a regular basis
> | must be done with care because of the problem of losing power shuts
> | immediately shuts down the ramdisk erasing the contents of the ramdisk.
> | However, there are uses for ramdisks besides running benchmarks. More
> | over there are storage devices that use RAM as the storage media that
> | can reach rarefied levels of performance of millions of IOPS.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7388/1.html
>

> Review: Phoenix HyperSpace
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | When you're on the run, opportunities to hop online to check e-mail,
> | flight status, or a favorite Web site tend to be infrequent and of
> | limited duration. That's why, when you do get a chance to fire up your
> | notebook, the time it takes to boot and load Windows can seem like an
> | eternity.
> `----
>
> http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/biztools/article.php/3805641
>

> Is Fast Booting A Red Herring?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Flashy movies aside, though, is there a real advantage to having faster
> | boot times when most of us don't shut down and reboot to begin with? And
> | if so, is it worth touting as a feature on the same order as, say,
> | support for cellular network connectivity?
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02
is_fast_booting.html

> Review: Phoenix Technologies HyperSpace instant-on desktop
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For some time now we have been talking about Splashtop, the Linux-based
> | instant-on desktop that we?ve seen on Asus notebooks and motherboards,
> | as well as the Lenovo IdeaPad S10e and the VooDoo Envy 133. Splashtop
> | solves the problem of having a bloated OS (like Vista) on a computer
> | with limited power, but it currently has to come from the factory on a
> | notebook, netbook, or motherboard.
> `----
>
> http://www.geek.com/articles/chips
review-phoenix-technologies-hyperspace-instant-on-desktop-20090115/

> The Race to Instant-On Computers Begins
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But rather than the oft-discussed head-to-head battle between Linux and
> | Windows, we?re seeing Linux latch onto Windows almost like a parasite in
> | a symbiotic relationship with its host.
> |
> | All of the shipping or soon-to-ship instant-on systems use a
> | thinned-down version of Linux as a base for presenting the quick
> | Internet applications. This makes sense because computer makers can
> | customize Linux to boot fast and use the software for free, meaning they
> | don?t add much extra cost to each computer.
> `----
>
> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/27
the-race-to-instant-on-computers-begins/

> Faster booting with Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The intriguing part of all this is that we might finally get the
> | instant-on capability for some pretty standard apps. The bizarre part is
> | that the way to speed up your slow OS load it you actually load two
> | different OSes. Sort of like running a five-kilometer race before you
> | run your marathon. Meanwhile, Microsoft is now stating that similar
> | technology could be part of Windows 7, presumably in 2010 and without
> | using any of that open source voodoo.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/10
faster_booting.html

> DeviceVM's proprietary/Linux split explained
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Covering Asus' adoption of DeviceVM's Splashtop software in all its
> | motherboards and some laptops, we were wondering exactly which parts
> | were proprietary and which were Linux - hence pulling back from calling
> | it a "Linux OS".
> `----
>
> http://community.zdnet.co.uk
blog/0,1000000567,10008346o-2000331761b,00.htm

> CES: PCs Load Apps Even Before Windows Starts
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | HyperSpace and Windows can't run at the same time, but HyperSpace could
> | still act just like new quick start options from Lenovo and Sony, which
> | load a small subset of applications into a Linux-based environment for
> | the times when a user doesn't need the full firepower of Windows and
> | Windows apps.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop
showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212701364&subSection=All+Stories

> Related:
>
> Phoenix HyperSpace: An Instant-On Linux Environment?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Fifteen months ago we exclusively showed off SplashTop from DeviceVM,
> | which was an instant-on Linux environment embedded into ASUS
> | motherboards and since then it has worked its way into products from
> | other OEMs (including notebooks). DeviceVM continues to work on further
> | refining SplashTop by adding in virtualization support and other
> | features, along with a promised developer SDK. Phoenix Technologies, the
> | company producing the BIOSes for many of the motherboards on the market,
> | is today introducing their SplashTop competitor. HyperSpace is the
> | Phoenix Technologies product being unveiled this morning with several
> | distinct differences from SplashTop.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com
scan.php?page=article&item=phoenix_hyperspace&num=1