Re: The Curious Case of Boycott Novell

Verily I say unto thee, that Jonathan Wong spake thusly:

> I'm the Microsoft "shill" that Roy has repeatedly referred to this
> past week on Boycott Novell.
>
> I have penned down my thoughts and observations after hanging out at
> Boycott Novell for about a week.
>
> http://armchairtheorist.com/2009/07/21/the-curious-case-of-boycott-novell/
>

> For your reading pleasure. :)

Here's the comment you won't publish:

@Jon

I don't know you personally, so it's entirely possible you're a
perfectly nice guy, but the fact remains that you not only work for
Microsoft, one of the world's most disreputable corporations, but you
actually occupy one of the most sinister positions within that
corporation - Technology Evangelist. And just to be clear, it isn't the
evangelism itself that's the problem, it's the /company/ you evangelise for.

So when someone who works for Microsoft, and especially a "TE", posts to
a pro-Linux site like BoycottNovell, without clearly disclosing his
conflicts of interest, then naturally there's going to be a backlash.

What else did you expect?

Are you aware that if you'd been an EU citizen then you'd actually have
*broken the law*, specifically the EU's Directive on Unfair
Business-to-Consumer Commercial Practices?

And even the FTC in the US is headed towards similar legislation:

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/the-silence-of-the-shills/

Also, I take exception to the word "hater", since it implies something
irrational and unwarranted. Dissent against Microsoft and its
supporters is *very much warranted*, and no more irrational than dissent
against any other criminal or unethical organisation.

Still confused?

Maybe this will enlighten you (especially the first two):

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/01/30/evangelism-is-war-memo/
http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/index.html

http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Dirty_Tricks_history
http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653
http://boycottnovell.com/microsoft-critique-resources/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft#Criticism
http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
http://boycottnovell.com/2009/01/10/edgi-continued-dumping-vs-gnu/
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_findings.htm
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/300590_software22.html
http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124&pn=2
http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14871/2/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/One-Laptop-Per-Child-Sabotaged-by-Microsoft-and-Intel-71941.shtml
http://slated.org/microsoft_kills_baby
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/16/xbox_scratched_discs_updated/
http://thepopulist.wordpress.com/2003/10/10/the-trials-of-microsoft/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Microsoft_antitrust_case
http://www.msversus.org/

If you can read all that and still fail to understand why Microsoft is
so hated, then I can only conclude you must have the same criminal
mentality as those you evangelise for. Perhaps you should have a quiet
word with James Plamondon, Microsoft's ex-chief TE - I'm sure he'll
explain things to you clearly.

*This* is the source of the "hatred" that you disingenuously claim is
being directed towards you for no apparent reason. It's not about you,
it's about Microsoft, and the fact that /anyone/ could stoop so low as
to "evangelise" for them.

To compound the problem, you then seek support from /other/ known
Microsoft shills.

Can you see how this might not help your case?

In fact, there really is only one way you can "help your case" , and
that's to find a job with another company, preferably one that isn't run
like a bunch of gangsters running a racketeering operation. Otherwise
you'll just continue to be perceived as one of this racket's enforcers,
spreading propaganda (that is the purpose of a "TE" after all, is it not?).

In short, go back to IBM.

PS: As a former Lotus TE, how does it feel to work for the company that
once threatened to "tip Lotus into the death spiral"?

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 01:17:41 up 55 days,  5:15,  5 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.03