[News] Kernel Conference Coverage; UnionsFS and ChunkFS Overview

LPC: Kernel/Userspace/User Interfaces Microconference

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest secrets of FOSS's success is a well-crafted set of
| interfaces amongst the various components.  Although famously not set in
| stone, these interfaces permit different FOSS projects to work for the most
| part separately, while still coming together as a coherent system. Such
| interfaces are clearly a key topic for the Linux Plumbers Conference.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/341054/

I Like My File Systems Chunky: UnionsFS and ChunkFS

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the size of today’s hard drives, a question often asked is how to
| create and manage large file systems. Many times, this question is asked
| around ext3 which can be fairly limiting in size. The corollary to this
| question is how one manages large file systems. In this article, an approach
| to creating file systems using the concepts of ChunkFS will be presented. In
| particular, UnionFS will be used to create a large file system from “chunks”
| using UnionFS and at the same time helps with check and repair times.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7437/

Do Linux Benchmarks Have A Leg To Stand On?

,----[ Quote ]
| Different distros typically run different versions of key software, and this
| case was typical. While three of the distros installed the EXT4 file system
| by default, for example, a fourth -- Mandriva -- uses EXT3. To some extent,
| these differences make exact comparisons very difficult, although
| benchmarking can still provide useful information about general performance
| trends.
|
| Or can they? Perhaps that's a debatable point.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/07/do_linux_benchm.html

Recent:

What ever happened to chunkfs?