[News] [Rival] Massive Contract Losses to Microsoft

Google Strikes Record-Breaking NZ/AUS Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| For at least the next three years, Google will play a significant role in the
| delivery of New Zealanders' mail.  The Postal Services Group of New Zealand
| Post has entered an agreement that'll have it putting Google Apps in front of
| 2,100 employees.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/07/21/google-strikes-record-breaking-new-zealandaustralia-deal

The grand Google plan against the whole Microsoft stack

,----[ Quote ]
| As Google’s blog notes, NeatX is an X Window implementation originally
| created by No Machine of Italy under the GPL in 2003. The No Machine business
| model included a proprietary server. NeatX is an open source alternative,
| also offered under GPL V2.
|
| [...]
|
| This is the question Google must answer, at all levels of its stack.
| Functions must be balanced, between what’s on your desk, your lap, or in your
| hand, and what’s synced to the cloud. The cloud must also provide a host of
| software and services we presently assume will remain totally under our
| personal control. That control must be guaranteed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4508

Edmonton considers divorcing Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| “I told Microsoft I’m giving them their divorce papers,” says City of
| Edmonton CIO Chris Moore. The municipality’s IT department is considering
| walking away from Microsoft Corp. applications and investing in open source
| instead. It’s just one step in a major IT transformation, the CIO explains.
`----

http://www.itnewscanada.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4961&option=com_virtuemart&np=1&vmcchk=1http://www.itnewscanada.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4961&option=com_virtuemart&np=1&vmcchk=1

Murphy's Law: A Tale of Open Source Cities (No Sims Included)

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's first consider the actual parameters of Vancouver's motion, which calls
| for more than just switching from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org. In it,
| the legislation defines three principle calls to action:
|
|     * Open and Accessible Data: the City of Vancouver will freely share with
|     citizens, businesses and other jurisdictions the greatest amount of data
|     possible while respecting privacy and security concerns;
|     * Open Standards: the City of Vancouver will move as quickly as possible
|     to adopt prevailing open standards for data, documents, maps, and other
|     formats of media;
|     * Open Source Software: the City of Vancouver, when replacing existing
|     software or considering new applications, will place open source software
|     on an equal footing with proprietary systems during procurement cycles.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/columns/murphys_law_tale_open_source_cities_no_sims_included

Tomorrow night there will be tears at MSFT.

Recent:

London Stock Exchange reportedly to dump £40m platform

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/59A7846C896BEA95CC2575E5007D8F33