[News] Review of a Ubuntu Heavyweight (Ultimate Edition) and Ubuntu Lightweight (CrunchBang)

  • Subject: [News] Review of a Ubuntu Heavyweight (Ultimate Edition) and Ubuntu Lightweight (CrunchBang)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 01:52:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ultimate Edition - A free overdose

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't like the fact your Ubuntu does not have everything you want or need? No
| Flash Player installed? No MP3 codecs? Where's Google Earth? Worry not.
| That's what Ultimate Edition is for.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/uue.html

CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02: A review

,----[ Quote ]
| As I become more knowledgable about Linux, the thought has crossed my mind to
| create my own distribution. However, I’ll readily admit I’m not the most
| technical user, but at least I’m getting to a point where I could give it a
| try. Using Ubuntu as the base would probably be easiest, starting from a
| minimal install, and using my favoruite window manager: Openbox. It wouldn’t
| be a minimalist or leightweight distribution, just one that provided almost
| all of the functionality and none of the bloat.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/crunchbang-linux-8-10-02-a-review/

Recent:

Ultimate Edition Linux 2.2 vs. Ubuntu – Quick Review and Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimate Edition 2.2 was released on June 17. It’s the latest salvo from
| TheeMahn, creator of this popular distro of Linux. Ultimate Edition was
| originally released in late 2007 to be Ubuntu with a “better user experience
| and with improved usability.” In the releases since, they have broken from
| Ubuntu and actually have created their own repository .
|
| Like Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition is Gnome based. TheeMahn also built Ubuntu
| Gamers Edition, and it shows in Ultimate Edition (UE). Ultimate Edition has
| software pre-installed and ready for use on a live DVD environment.
`----

http://techexposures.com/2009/06/ultimate-edition-linux-2-2-vs-ubuntu-quick-review-and-screenshots/

Review of Ubuntu Ultimate Edition(?)

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently decided to check out the newest release of Ubuntu Ultimate
| Edition, and I have to ask the question, is this really the ultimate Ubuntu?
| To find out, keep reading.To start, I am going to appologize to the person
| who did the remaster, as I am sure they are no going to be happy with what I
| have to say about this “distro”.
`----

http://mclovinsblog.com/?p=40

First Look: Ultimate Edition 2.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Though only four months passed since the previous release, Ultimate Edition
| 2.2 was a highly anticipated upgrade by fans all over the world, especially
| for the fact that it would almost certainly use the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty
| Jackalope) base.
|
| And so it is. TheeMahn announced the new version a few days ago and we
| couldn't miss the chance to give you some feedback on how it looks, feels and
| performs. Ultimate Edition is available as a 2.0 GB DVD ISO and can be run on
| both 32- and 64-bit platforms.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-Ultimate-Edition-2-2-115099.shtml

Ultimate Edition 2.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimate Edition is an ‘improved’ version of Ubuntu. Unlike Linux Mint, which
| contains modifications to the source code, Ultimate Edition is simply a lot
| more packages added to Ubuntu and then made into an ISO using reconstructor.
`----

http://blog.jjtcomputing.co.uk/2009/06/23/ultimate-edition-2-2/

Ultimate Edition 2.0, a Revamped Ubuntu 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ultimate-Edition-2-0-a-Revamped-Ubuntu-8-10-97845.shtml