Re: [News] The EFF Finds New, Borader Coalition Against the ACTA Conspiracy

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> EFF, libraries: Keep your ACTA out of our Internet!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Library groups have joined forces with the EFF and others to demand a
> | seat at the table when it comes to negotiating the Anti-Counterfeiting
> | Trade Agreement. Also, they want all Internet regulation stripped from
> | the treaty.
> `----
>
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/acta-no-internet.ars

They should also strip the agreement of rights to impose punishment
because it has not been discussed or arrived at democratically
and is unconstitutional.

> Recent:
>
> ?Drop Internet Issues From ACTA, Add Public Interest?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Nine organisations representing the technology industry, libraries,
> | digital rights and privacy interests have sent a letter to United States
> | Trade Representative Ron Kirk urging that issues related to the internet
> | be dropped from negotiations for an Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
> | (ACTA). They also demanded that in the secretive ACTA negotiation,
> | negotiating documents be made available to those representing the public
> | interest, and that advisory committees be created to include civil
> | society and internet-related industry interests.
> `----
>
> http://www.ip-watch.org
weblog/2009/07/17/?drop-internet-issues-from-acta-add-public-interest?/

> Meet the former Time Warner exec the US govt has put in charge of writing
> a secret, restrictive copyright treaty
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2009/06/25/meet-the-former-time.html
>

> Meet the chief US ACTA negotiator: Kira Alvarez, the Deputy Assistant USTR
> for IP Enforcement
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Kira Alvarez is the Deputy Assistant USTR for Intellectual Property
> | Enforcement, and the chief US negotiator for ACTA. According to her
> | Linkedin bio, as late as October 2008, right before the election, she
> | was the Time Warner Vice President for Global Public Policy, and before
> | that, she was a lobbyist for Ely Lilly, the pharmaceutical company.
> | Alvarez also worked for both the Clinton and George W. Bush
> | administrations, before her stints for Lilly and Time Warner. Note that
> | she took her current job in December 2008, after the election but before
> | the inauguration. Now she is the lead Obama representative for ACTA,
> | reporting to Stan McCoy and Ambassador Kirk at USTR.
> `----
>
> http://www.keionline.org/blogs/2009/06/25/kira-alvarez/
>

> U.S. Targets Canada Over Copyright in Special 301 Report
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The move is not unexpected, given recent comments from Vice President
> | Joe Biden and U.S. Congressional panels as well as the demands from U.S.
> | lobby groups.
> `----
>
> http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3911/125/
>

> Former RIAA Lawyer At DOJ Will Only Avoid RIAA Issues For A Year
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Plenty of folks have noted that the Justice Department has been the
> | landing place for a number of RIAA lawyers. Some have suggested not to
> | get too worked up about this, given that the Obama administration's
> | ethics rules supposedly forbade those lawyers from being involved in
> | issues related to their former work.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090501/0209474714.shtml
>

> Obama Names Craig Mundie to Sci-Tech Advisory Council
>
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/04/27
obama-names-craig-mundie-to-sci-tech-advisory-council.aspx

> Joe Biden promises a blank check to the entertainment cartel
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | VP Joe Biden stood up in front of a bunch of Hollywood execs and
> | promised to appoint a copyright czar, and furthermore, that this would
> | be the "right" person to protect their interests. I would have voted Dem
> | in the last election, if I got a vote, but make no mistakes: the Dems
> | are the party of stupid copyright laws.
> `----
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/22/joe-biden-promises-a.html
>

> Administration Lobbyist Ban Not Doing What It's Supposed To Do
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We've already seen how the Justice Department is, for example, being
> | filled with lawyers who regularly worked with the RIAA, MPAA and BSA --
> | three of the biggest copyright lobbying organizations, and those
> | individuals have wasted no time in expressing their desire to continue
> | pushing those industry's viewpoints in their new positions.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090422/0419234608.shtml
>

> Copyright debate heats up over Obama appointments
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The president has, in fact, filled out some high-level Justice
> | Department positions with lawyers favored by the copyright industry,
> | including attorneys who have represented the Recording Industry
> | Association of America and the Business Software Alliance. The
> | signatories of the April 2 letter said the Justice Department's
> | intervention last month in favor of a record label in a file-sharing
> | case heightens their concern.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10223549-38.html
>

> Biden promises 'right person' as new U.S. copyright czar
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "It's pure theft, stolen from the artists and quite frankly from the
> | American people as consequence of loss of jobs and as a consequence of
> | loss of income," Biden said, according to a White House pool report.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10224689-38.html
>

> MPAA reaches out to lawmakers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The occasion: the second biennial summit sponsored by the industry's
> | chief lobbying arm, the Motion Picture Assn. of America.
> `----
>
> http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002688.html?categoryId=18&cs=1
>

> I got you, babe
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Obama is whistling the music industry's tune
> `----
>
> http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/15
i-got-you-babe-obama-is-whistling-the-music-indust/

> Obama Taps 5th RIAA Lawyer to Justice Dept.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | President Barack Obama is tapping another RIAA attorney into the Justice
> | Department.
> |
> | Monday's naming of Ian Gershengorn, to become the department's deputy
> | assistant attorney of the Civil Division, comes more than a week after
> | nearly two-dozen public interest groups, trade pacts and library
> | coalitions urged the new president to quit filling his administration
> | with lawyers plucked from the Recording Industry Association of America.
> |
> | The move makes it five RIAA lawyers Obama has appointed to the Justice
> | Department.
> `----
>
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/obama-taps-fift.html
>

> Obama administration sides with RIAA in P2P suit
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Obama administration has sided with the recording industry in a
> | copyright lawsuit against an alleged peer-to-peer pirate, a move that
> | echoes arguments previously made by the Bush administration.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10201831-38.html
>

> Obama Sides With RIAA, Supports $150,000 Fine per Music Track
>
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/obama-sides-wit.html
>

> U.S. Sides with RIAA in Filesharing Case
>
> http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/legal_blog_watch/2009/03
us-sides-with-riaa-in-filesharing-case.html