Re: [News] Swindle Shows the Harms of DRM

On 2009-07-20, Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Some E-Books Are More Equal Than Others
>
> How ironic that the censored publications were Orwell's "Nineteen
> Eighty-Four" and "Animal Farm".
>
> [quote]
> Nineteen Eighty-Four will not enter the public domain in the United
> States until 2044 and in the European Union until 2020, although it is
> public domain in countries such as Canada, Russia, and Australia.
> [/quote]

[...]

> Otherwise, you may only read these books if you are standing in the
> middle of the Australian outback at the time (presumably with a netbook
> or similar), delete them immediately after reading, and then report
> "something to declare" at customs when you return home (unless you're
> lucky enough to /live/ in Australia), so the customs officers can
> doubleplus unremember the "infringing" material from your brain, using
> electric probes and a bottle of Tipex.

Hmmm... we've still got sane copyright laws here in Australia? Please
stop bringing this to the notice of our fawning federal government. If
they find out that the USA has 90 years of copyright protection then
they'll just *have* to change the law, merely to be in line with our
*protector* the USA...

--
Regards,

Gregory.