Re: [Rival] Guards of the Microsoft Monopoly Block Free Software

  • Subject: Re: [Rival] Guards of the Microsoft Monopoly Block Free Software
  • From: TheLostPacket <jmthelostpacket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Go away and stop bothering us
>
> http://scienceoftheinvisible.blogspot.com/2009/07/go-away-and-stop-bo...
>
> And this:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/08/orange_and_ie6/
>
> Good riddance to "Cancer on the Web":
>
> YouTube Will Be Next To Kiss IE6 Support Goodbye
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Judging by this screenshot taken by an IE6 user who was watching some videos
> | on YouTube, it appears the Google company will be phasing out support for the
> | browser shortly. I don’t have Internet Explorer 6 installed on my computer,
> | so I can’t verify this first hand, but illogical it seems not and a simple
> | Twitter search shows multiple people confirming the news. Heck, some are even
> | downright ecstatic over the news.
> `----
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/14/youtube-will-be-next-to-kiss-ie6...
>
> Much Ado About IE6

Does this mean the end of IE6-centric code buried in the  pages and
spewing script  errors? I hope so...

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Should Digg block IE6?
> |
> | Currently, IE6 usage accounts for 10% of Digg visitors and 5% of page views
> | on Digg. While this is down from 13% and 8% a year ago respectively, IE6
> | still accounts for a fairly large portion of Digg usage. That said, a lot of
> | time is spent by Digg engineers supporting site activity like diggs, buries,
> | and comments in IE6, and while it accounts for 5% of site traffic, IE6
> | accounts for only 1% of diggs, buries, and comments.
> `----
>
> http://blog.digg.com/?p=878

I think a simple "This page optimised for a computer with a screen"
coding philosophy should suffice, the IE6 problem will disappear all
by itself...

> Recent:
>
> How to beat AVG's fake traffic spew
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This has caused an enormous spike in traffic on sites across the web,
> | including The Register, and many webmasters may not realize where these hits
> | are coming from. Hoping to fool malware writers, LinkScanner mimics real live
> | human clicks. At least in part.

owie, that's gotta hurt click-thru revenue...

> | [...]
> |
> | To avoid confusion, we've updated this story to point out that webmasters are
> | filtering traffic by identifying both the missing HTTP header and the IE6
> | agent. It should also be noted that LinkScanner seems to be using two other
> | user agents. But these are far less prevalent. At the moment, these are the
> | three user agents the product seems to employ:
> |
> |     Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/02/linkscanner_fake_traffic_temp...
>
> AVG disguises fake traffic as IE6
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In late February, AVG paired its updated anti-virus engine with a real-time
> | malware scanner that vets search engine results before you click on them. If
> | you search Google, for instance, this LinkScanner automatically visits each
> | address that turns up on Google's results page.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26/avg_disguises_fake_traffic_as...

I'm glad I don't have to suffer that slowdown...