Re: [News] Company Created by ex-Microsoft Employee Uses 'Secret' Numbers to Vilify GPL

On 2009-07-13, amicus_curious <ACDC@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Homer" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>> SFLC challenges Black Duck to open source code
>>
>> How strange that a company founded to improve accountability through
>> transparency, should be so clandestine and opaque with its own software
>> and methods.
>>
> Not at all, Homer.  The Black Duck products have commercial value and are
> therefore protected from copyright theft unless you pay to receive that
> value.  It is not like FOSS software that is free as in beer and so has no
> commercial value to protect.
>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>> So, who is Black Duck, and what's their real motives?:
>>
> Their motive is rather obvious, I would think, namely to make some money by
> servicing customer's needs to keep track of the crazy quilt of licenses of
> any open source software that they might want to use.  In a sense FOSS has

    It's almost as if every bit of software out there is owned by it's
own distinct entity and therefore might have any set of random licesning
terms that owner wants. It's almost if each and everyone one of them can
draw up their own 1000 page contract/license completely distinct and
apart from all the other ones.

[deletia]

    6 billion different EULAs... imagine that.

--
	Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's         |||
	continued popularity as does an attempt to do some          / | \