[News] Obama Owns His Own Face, But AP Claims Otherwise; MAFIAA Wants Ringtones Too

  • Subject: [News] Obama Owns His Own Face, But AP Claims Otherwise; MAFIAA Wants Ringtones Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:18:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Shepard Fairey Case Gets More Complex: Mannie Garcia Claims The Photo Is His,
Not The AP's

,----[ Quote ]
| The Shepard Fairey case continues to get more and more bizarre. You may
| recall that, back in January, someone figured out which photo Shepard Fairey
| had used as the basis of his iconic Barack Obama poster.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090710/0159495506.shtml

ASCAP Makes Outlandish Copyright Claims on Cell Phone Ringtones

,----[ Quote ]
| New York - The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) urged a federal court
| Wednesday to reject bogus copyright claims in a ringtone royalty battle that
| could raise costs for consumers, jeopardize consumer rights, and curtail new
| technological innovation.
`----

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/07/02

Recent:

ASCAP Now Claiming That Your Mobile Phone Ringing Is A Public Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| On top of this, even if, in some bizarre, twisted interpretation of the law,
| a ringtone playing on a phone was a public performance, how would it be the
| mobile operators' liability to pay? That would be like saying that Apple
| should pay ASCAP royalties because songs it sells on iTunes could potentially
| be played through speakers publicly somewhere. Perhaps I shouldn't be giving
| ASCAP ideas...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090620/1836345299.shtml

ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings

,----[ Quote ]
| ASCAP (the same folks who went after Girl Scouts for singing around a
| campfire) appears to believe that every time your musical ringtone rings in
| public, you're violating copyright law by "publicly performing" it without a
| license. At least that's the import of a brief [2.5mb PDF] it filed in
| ASCAP's court battle with mobile phone giant AT&T.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/ascap-wants-be-paid-

PRS Threatens Woman For Playing Radio To Her Horses Without Paying A Licensing
Fee

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest (sent in by a few folks) is that PRS has now threatened a woman
| who plays classical music to her horses in her stable to keep them calm. She
| had been turning on the local classical music station, saying that it helped
| keep the horse calm -- but PRS is demanding £99 if she wants to keep
| providing such a "public performance." And it's not just a one-off.
| Apparently a bunch of stables have been receiving such calls.
|
| Obviously, this is not a case of random excessive attempts by PRS to squeeze
| more money out of people. It's become systematic. The group seems to believe
| that playing music in almost any situation now constitutes a public
| performance and requires a licensing fee. You just know they're salivating
| over the opportunity to go after people playing music in their cars with the
| windows down.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090327/1113014276.shtml

MPAA Matches RIAA In Massive Layoffs