[News] New Reviews of Tiny Core Linux 2.1, CDLinux 0.9.2, Live Linux Gaming 0.9.5, PCLinuxOS Minime 09.1

  • Subject: [News] New Reviews of Tiny Core Linux 2.1, CDLinux 0.9.2, Live Linux Gaming 0.9.5, PCLinuxOS Minime 09.1
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:19:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tiny Core Linux 2.1

,----[ Quote ]
| They say that good things come in small packages and so it is with Tiny Core
| Linux, a diminutive but powerful distribution. TCL weighs in at an incredibly
| petite 11MB when you download it. Yes, it really is that tiny. Tiny Core
| Linux is based on Busybox, the Linux 2.6 kernel, JWM, Fltk and Tiny X.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/01/tiny-core-linux-2-1/

CDLinux 0.9.2 Community Edition Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Five weeks ago when I wrote an overview of Debris Linux I received a number
| of requests to review other mini distributions from DistroWatch Weekly
| readers. CDLinux is a minimalist distro from China which takes a different
| approach to small. Rather than cram as many application as possible onto a
| mini (3"/8cm) CD, the CDLinux Community Edition aims for excellent support of
| half a dozen languages (Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese and
| Russian), support for a wide variety of filesystems and excellent hardware
| support, including CUPS and XSane for printers and scanners, all of which are
| included in the 204MB iso. They also offer a "standard" edition, just 64MB in
| size, which includes a basic Xfce desktop and almost no applications at all.
| CDLinux "standard" does include popular rescue and admin tools, making it an
| excellent choice for a recovery CD. Finally, the 25MB "mini" edition is
| console only. I decided to take the most complete version, the Community
| Edition, and put it through its paces.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090706#feature

Live Linux Gaming 0.9.5 (live.linuX-gamers.net)

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately I’ve been looking at different distributions but there’s another angle
| of desktop Linux that bears looking at from time to time too: gaming. Yes,
| there actually are Linux gamers out there and, despite some shortcomings, it
| is quite possible to play some games on your Linux system. Usually people
| would do it by installing games and running them via their preferred desktop
| distribution. But there’s another way:
|
| [....]
|
| “Games that are bold are only contained on the “big” release.
|
|     * armagetronad
|     * astromenace
|     * blobby
|     * chromium-bsu
|     * extremetuxracer
|     * foobillard

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/03/live-linux-gaming-live-linux-gamers-net/

PCLinuxOS Minime 09.1 on my Thinkpad T61

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/pclinuxos-minime-09-1-on-my-thinkpad-t61/