[News] Hadopi Still Fails

Three strikes: Five minutes per court decision

,----[ Quote ]
| France's government is gearing up for a new version of the controversial
| HADOPI legislation that would force ISPs to disconnect file sharers after
| three offenses. HADOPI's original version was struck down by France's
| Constritutional Council earlier this month because it enabled rights holders
| to police P2P networks without a judge's oversight. The council ruled that
| this procedure, also known as Three Strikes, was unconstitutional because it
| didn't guarantee suspected offenders a fair trial.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1101.html

Hackers Undermine Piracy Evidence With Hadopi Router

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we reported that a provision in the revamped French “3 strikes”
| bill will allow for the punishment of ISP account holders for the copyright
| infringing actions of others. Now a group of hackers has set out to
| compromise WiFi routers en masse, in order to create an environment of
| plausible deniability.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/hackers-undermine-piracy-evidence-with-hadopi-router-090709/

Related:

Write to your MEP: say no to “3 strikes” through the backdoor

,----[ Quote ]
| Could Europe be drafting a new law to disconnect suspected filesharers from
| the internet? MEPs have already signalled their condemnation of this
| approach. But last-minute amendments to telecommunications legislation could
| bring the so-called “3 strikes” approach in by the backdoor. If you want your
| MEP to stick to their guns on 3 strikes, write to them today to voice your
| concerns.
|
| [...]
|
| Over in France, President Nicolas Sarkozy (who also took over the European
| presidency yesterday) has put his weight behind legislation proposed by the
| Olivennes report. The bill, which has been delayed until the Autumn, will
| mandate termination of internet connections. It goes without saying that it
| is the subject of much controversy across the Channel.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/07/02/write-to-your-mep-say-no-to-3-strikes-through-the-backdoor/
http://tinyurl.com/43hxtd

Digital copyright: it's all wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| The ACTA draft is a scary document. If a treaty based on its provisions were
| adopted, it would enable any border guard, in any treaty country, to check
| any electronic device for any content that they suspect infringes copyright
| laws. They need no proof, only suspicion.
|
| They would be able to seize any device - laptop, iPod, DVD recorder, mobile
| phone, etc - and confiscate it or destroy anything on it, merely on
| suspicion. On the spot, no lawyers, no right of appeal, no nothing.
`----

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/technology/digital-copyright-its-all-wrong/2008/06/09/1212863783566.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
http://tinyurl.com/6ylvpx

Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Criticism from NGOs
|
| Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
| Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
| that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
| by Hollywood companies.
|
| Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
| warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
| counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
| insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
| an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
| infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071

Microsoft could force your mobile into silence

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/microsoft-could-force-your-mobile-into-silence-393006