[News] Applications for Movie Watching in GNU/Linux, Torrent

Miro 2.0 - Watch TV Podcasts and Videos in HD

,----[ Quote ]
| Miro is an open-source and cost-free application for watching Internet TV in
| high definition quality. It's available for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/06/miro-20-watch-tv-podcasts-and-videos-in.html

Transmission BitTorrent Client - Lightweight Alternative to Deluge

,----[ Quote ]
| Transmission is a lightweight BitTorrent client built in GTK, with a clean
| and simple interface. Although most people prefer more popular clients like
| Vuze, Deluge or KTorrent, Transmission incorporates all the major features
| one needs for downloading torrents and can prove a very good alternative to
| those, especially if you don't need all those whistles and bells.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/07/transmission-bittorrent-client.html

Deluge: for All Your Torrent Needs

,----[ Quote ]
| Using torrents has become quite an everyday routine for most of us. Though
| eating up all your bandwidth in one bite, they surely can take the load off
| traffic-heavy servers. How? Each of us becomes a peer that "seeds" tiny bits
| of the download, leading to exponentially growing speed and availability.
| Most of the times, people associate the word "torrent" with piracy, which
| certainly doesn't come as a surprise, but there are a lot of other legal uses
| of this great technology.
| ----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Deluge-For-All-Your-Torrent-Needs-115218.shtml

A lot of stuff is shared legally on torrent.

Recent:

9 of the Best Free Linux BitTorrent Clients

,----[ Quote ]
| BitTorrent is an open source peer-to-peer file protocol for sharing large
| software and media files. It is a well established protocol which accounts
| for a significant proportion of internet traffic.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090522214018134/BitTorrent.html

Qt vs. GTK: Kopete, KMess, Pidgin and Emesene

,----[ Quote ]
| A clear win for GTK and Emesene here, because of its simplicity, speed and
| looks. KMess is a close second though, and even in beta looks like a better,
| easier chat client than the dinosaur Kopete.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/qt-vs-gtk-kopete-kmess-pidgin-and-emesene/

BBC Gets Ready for BitTorrent Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the BBC published the first episode of R&DTV, a Creative Commons
| licensed show that users are allowed to remix, redistribute and share. The
| first episode of the monthly technology show features Digg’s Kevin Rose,
| among others. The BBC hopes to use BitTorrent for the distribution of future
| episodes.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bbc-gets-ready-for-bittorrent-distribution-090409/

EU Invests $22 Million in Next-Generation BitTorrent Client

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago we reported that the EU Greens launched a pro-filesharing
| campaign named “I Wouldn’t Steal”. In a continued effort to support the
| development of P2P technology, the European Union has now invested $22
| million in the development of an open-source BitTorrent client.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/eu-invests-22-million-in-next-generation-bittorrent-client/

SXSW 2009 on BitTorrent: 6 GB of Free Music

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/sxsw-2009-on-bittorrent-6-gb-of-free-music-090312/