[News] Report from OpenSUSE Day in Chile

openSUSE Day (Chile): Awesome.

,----[ Quote ]
| And the day came. After a six hours trip on bus, and a few minutes of sleep I
| got to Santiago de Chile. Francisco Toha picked me up so we headed to
| Universidad Andres Bello for the openSUSE Day. Huge building and plenty of
| room for everyone. The event started almost on time. I followed the first
| talk, a bit hoping to have a decent internet connection so I could show a
| live SUSE Studio test drive. OK, that didn’t happen. The internet traffic
| ratio was too slow like waiting 59 minutes to build an JeOS appliance was
| nuts so that was definitely the low aspect of the talk.
`----

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2009/06/28/opensuse-day-chile-awesome/

Recent:

Chilean anti-piracy law drafted on pirated software

,----[ Quote ]
| Chilean lawyer Guillermo Frêne is having a bit of a bad
| hair day after it was revealed that draft legislation aimed
| at cutting the internet connections of illegal downloading
| ne'er-do-wells was presented in .doc format written on
| pirated software.
|
| The full outrage was exposed here, which shows that the
| firm of attorneys responsible for the document goes by the
| rather unusual name of "The houze"...
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/30/chilean_piracy_shocker/

Microsoft will turn Chile abstention into a Yes?

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the 217 comments tabled
| by Chile in September, the Microsoft puppets
| are well active in the Committee
| and will vote this Tuesday to turn the vote
| of the country from an abstention
| to a Yes. You can expect more of those
| things happening until the end of March.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-35106/microsoft-will-turn-chile-abstention-into-a-yes

Related:

The day Chile was Bought by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Just today, a secret agreement
| between MS and the Chilean Government came to
| light. In it, every citizen was
| sold as a potential user of a Windows Live
| Spaces model where every SSN is
| linked to, overbypassing any privacy term and
| cashing Bill some bucks. It
| wouldn't be so awful to all if that agreement
| wasn't aprooved yet (Spanish follows).
`----

http://digg.com/microsoft/The_day_Chile_was_Bought_by_Microsoft

Chilean Mapuches in language row with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Mapuche Indians in Chile are trying t
| take global software giant Microsoft
| to court in a legal battle which
| raises the question of whether anyone
| can ever "own" the language they speak.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061123:MTFH14339_2006-11-23_14-39-39_N22384122&type=comktNews&rpc=44

ElMostrador.cl: Chilean Public Pension System (INP) Switches to Linux

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-01-005-20-NW-DP

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm