[News] Patents More Likely to be Abolished?

Patent Reexamination - A Renaissance

,----[ Quote ]
| Given this, it is certainly no surprise the patent infringement defendants
| have been using the reexam strategy more and more.  The semiconductor field
| is no different.  Two well known patent enforcers in the industry, Tessera
| and Rambus have seen their patents thrown into reexam by various parties that
| are the targets of their licensing programs.  Furthermore, I have also seen
| evidence that courts are willing to stay litigation if a quick reexam request
| is filed in the Patent Office, though obviously this is very judge and
| district specific.
`----

http://www.chiplawblog.com/2009/06/articles/patent-office/patent-reexamination-a-renaissance/

Patent Litigation Weekly: Former Goodwin Procter Partner Now Patent
Enforcer--Except in False Markings Public Interest Cases

,----[ Quote ]
| But meanwhile, as Mullin notes, the former Ropes & Gray partner is also
| working closely to spearhead a litigation project with an old friend, Daniel
| Ravicher of the Public Patent Foundation--who has publicly proclaimed that
| software patents hinder innovation. Garrod is helping Public Patent file
| suits to block products from carrying false patent markings.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/digestTAL.jsp?id=1202431608878&Patent_Litigation_Weekly_Former_Goodwin_Procter_Partner_Now_Patent_EnforcerExcept_in_False_Markings_Public_Interest_Cases

Related:

Back-Door Maximalist Intellectual Monopolies

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents would be turned into a customs issue (whaaat?), and there would be no
| need actually to show that an infringement happened in order to start
| a "procedure".... In other words, this SECURE (and for the name, see here) is
| about extending the RIAA's intimidatory tactics to the whole of intellectual
| monopolies, and globally.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/06/eye.html

Repeal 35 USC 122(c) …..at least for Business Methods

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008/07/repeal-35-usc-1.html