[News] Cross-border Patent Assault with Embargo, ACTA, Etc.

US Government Blocks Imports of Sharp TVs

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. International Trade Commission issued a decision Wednesday that
| blocks the U.S. import of LCD panels and LCD televisions made by Sharp,
| ruling that the company violated a patent held by rival Samsung Electronics.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167332/us_government_blocks_imports_of_sharp_tvs.html

EU, US Consumer Groups Issue Resolution On Enforcement; Demand Role In ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| An international coalition of consumer groups has issued a resolution calling
| into question global enforcement policy and offering core principles for
| policymakers to consider in setting new enforcement standards.
|
| The Trans Atlantic Consumer Dialogue on 18 June issued the resolution on the
| enforcement of copyright, trademarks, patents and other intellectual property
| rights. The TACD is a trade advisory body to the European Union and United
| States government, and brings together 80 member organisations from those
| regions, claiming a direct paid-up membership of some 20 million consumers.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/06/23/eu-us-consumer-groups-issue-resolution-on-enforcement-demand-role-in-acta/

Recent:

The ACTA draft treaty is covering patent infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikileaks has published some drafts of the secret ACTA treaty, which aims to
| give better guns to Patent Trolls. The draft mentions that it covers all the
| rights covered by TRIPS, so it will cover also patents.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-147082/the-acta-draft-treaty-is-covering-patent-infringement

Goodbye WIPO, Hello ACTA?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is really remarkable about this is that Greve can even be asking WIPO to
| consider free software and open standards: a few years ago, such a thing
| would have amounted to blasphemy.
|  Sadly, there is another sign that WIPO is becoming more accommodating to the
|  ideas behind free software: the fact that there seems to be a move to come
|  up with an alternative forum for promoting intellectual monopolies where it
|  will not be so easy to participate.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2101&blogid=14

New ACTA copyright treaty dodges the UN, poor countries and activists

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Geist sez, "The World Intellectual Property Organization may be best
| known for the Internet treaties that led to the DMCA, but in recent years
| groups like EFF, KEI, and Public Knowledge has helped to open things up and
| move toward a Development Agenda that better balances international
| intellectual property policy. That progress may be threatened by the
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which officials now acknowledge is
| designed to exclude WIPO, developing countries, and NGOs."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/14/new-acta-copyright-t.html

Leaked ACTA Draft: More Power to the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent draft of the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) surfaced on Wikileaks this weekend. Among other things, the draft aims
| to strengthen the power and rights of the entertainment industry and other
| copyright holders, by letting them choose how they want to be compensated for
| copyright infringements.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/leaked-acta-draft-more-power-to-the-riaa-090414/

Classified US, Japan and EU ACTA trade agreement drafts, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The file presents US, Japan and EU drafts of the controversial international
| copyright and patent trade agreement, ACTA ("Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement"). The documents were obtained by Wikileaks staff.
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Classified_US%2C_Japan_and_EU_ACTA_trade_agreement_drafts%2C_2009

Call the Obama administration and ask for your copy of ACTA now!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama administration wants to be called about the status of negotiations
| of ACTA. Call the Obama administration and ask for your copy of ACTA now!
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-144960/call-the-obama-administration-and-ask-for-your-copy-of-acta-now

Canada's ACTA Briefing, Part One: ACTA Is A Response to WIPO Gridlock

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canadian government provided its first major briefing on the
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement this morning.  There were attendees from
| all sides of the issue as well as an (unlisted) representative from the U.S.
| Embassy.  The meeting started with a bang as Don Stephenson, an Assistant
| Deputy Minister at DFAIT, noted the two sources of ACTA.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3830/125/

China and ACTA: Why Is The Problem Not Made Part Of The Solution?

,----[ Quote ]
| Section 2. Border Measures:
| Under discussion is whether border measures should apply not only to
| importations (as TRIPs prescribes) but also to export and transit of goods;
| Another possible point of contention is whether travelers can import
| counterfeit or pirated goods for their personal use (de minimis exception);
| It is no surprise that ACTA tries to solve some of the points, which
| especially has frustrated the US (which among other reasons brought a claim
| against China at the WTO: DS 362): measures to ensure that infringing goods
| are not released into free circulation and the destruction of goods that have
| been determined to infringe intellectual property rights.
`----

http://ipdragon.blogspot.com/2009/04/china-and-acta-why-is-problem-not.html

A little bit of good news from France

,----[ Quote ]
| In Spain, as in France, Italy and all over Europe, local "artists" are very
| active on the anti-freedom of downloading campaign, attributing the bad
| economic performances of the European (respectively, Spanish, French, ...)
| movie industry to the use of P2P software and downloading. As everyone knows,
| before P2P appeared the European movie industries were thriving and their
| movies were dominanting the world market.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000000836

The Latest Act in the ACTA Farce

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest, unfortunately, is the usual mixture of half-truths and outright
| fibs. But this constant trickle of such documents shows that they are taking
| notice of us, and that we must up the pressure for full disclosure of what
| exactly is being negotiated in our name.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/04/latest-act-in-acta-farce.html

Canadian ACTA Consultation Report Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| In an earlier post, I noted that the Department of Foreign Affairs will be
| holding a consultation meeting on ACTA next week.  DFAIT first consulted on
| ACTA in the spring of 2008.  While I discussed some of the findings based on
| documents obtained under the Access to Information Act, I did not previously
| have access to the entire draft report.  I do now (through ATIP) - it is
| posted below for research and news reporting purposes.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3800/125/

Consumer Interest Groups Ask Obama To Stop Appointing RIAA Lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Obama administration appointing a whole bunch of copyright
| maximalists to various positions (despite an early indication that perhaps he
| recognized issues with copyright law), a bunch of public interest and
| consumer interest groups have gotten together to write a letter to Obama,
| asking him to recognize that he seems to be filling every open slot with a
| very heavily biased viewpoint which could do significant harm towards
| innovation. Some of the letter may be inspired by the rumored candidates for
| the IP Czar position -- all of whom also fall into the copyright maximalist
| camp. Though, the fact that it's taken Obama so long to appoint this position
| (upsetting the Senators who wrote the law requiring the position in the first
| place) suggests (at the very least) he isn't considering this to be a
| priority.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090402/1801344362.shtml

Battle over top-secret treaty heats up

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week, the Department of Foreign Affairs will conduct one of the stranger
| consultations in recent memory. Officials have invited roughly 70 stakeholder
| groups to discuss an international intellectual property treaty that the U.S.
| regards as a national security secret and about which the only substantive
| information has come from a series of unofficial leaks.
|
| Since then-minister David Emerson announced Canada's participation in the
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement negotiations in October 2007, the ACTA
| has been dogged by controversy over the near-total lack of transparency.
`----

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Battle+over+secret+treaty+heats/1446367/story.html

Distorted amendment 138 tries to present graduated response as legal

,----[ Quote ]
| The Council of EU is trying to reintroduce a distorted version of amendment
| 138 to “Telecoms Package”1. It could be interpreted by the archaic industries
| promoting "graduated response" as authorizing any administrative authority to
| order restrictions on fundamental rights and freedom. Such a legalization of
| parallel administrative justice, comparable to the French “graduated
| response” is unacceptable. The European Parliament must strongly reject this
| huge threat to EU citizen's freedom.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/distorted-amendment-138-tries-to-present-graduated-reponse-as-legal

ACTA Stakeholders' Consultation Meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| Directorate General for Trade of the European Commission is organising a
| meeting to inform and consult interested parties about the negotiation of a
| plurilateral Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA).
|
| The goal of ACTA is to provide an improved framework for countries committed
| to intellectual property protection, in view of effectively addressing the
| challenges of IPR infringement today.
`----

http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/a2k/2009-March/004079.html

The ACTA Timeline (or Everything You Need To Know About ACTA But Your
Government Won't Tell You)

,----[ Quote ]
| October 2007 - The United States, European Union, Japan, South Korea, Mexico,
| New Zealand, Switzerland, and Canada announce plans to negotiate ACTA.
|
| November 2007 - April 2008 - Governments conduct initial consultations on
| ACTA.  Australia consults in November 2007 on whether to participate.  The
| U.S. consults in February 2008.  Canada consults in April 2008.
|
| The results of the Canadian consultation are not released to the public but
| an Access to Information request uncovers a report on the results that note
| that "individual Canadian citizens were generally critical of Canada’s role
| in the formal negotiation of ACTA." Individual responses cited the lack of
| transparency associated with the process, the absence of evidence that a new
| treaty is needed, the exclusion of developing countries from the
| negotiations, and the concern that ACTA might undermine Canadian law.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3786/125/

US Wrestles With Transparency As Europeans Urge Release Of ACTA Texts

,----[ Quote ]
| The parliaments of Sweden and the European Union are urging the European
| Union to make public all documentation related to a secretive global
| anti-counterfeiting treaty, while the United States has claimed the papers
| are a matter of national security and therefore a state secret. But now the
| US has decided to undertake a review of its transparency.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/03/27/us-wrestles-with-transparency-as-europeans-urge-release-of-acta-texts/

Obama Administration Claims Copyright Treaty Involves State Secrets?!?

,----[ Quote ]
| When the Obama administration took over, there was a public stance that this
| administration was going to be more transparent -- especially with regards to
| things like Freedom of Information Act requests. The nonprofit group
| Knowledge Ecology International took that to heart and filed an FOIA request
| to get more info on ACTA. The US Trade Representative's Office responded
| denying the request, saying that the information was "classified in the
| interest of national security pursuant to Executive Order 12958." This is a
| treaty about changing copyright law, not sending missiles somewhere. To claim
| that it's a national security matter is just downright scary. As KEI points
| out, the text of the documents requested have been available to tons of
| people, including more than 30 governments around the world and lobbyists
| from the entertainment industry, pharma industry and publishing industry.

ACTA: questions in the European Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether the European Parliament will be able to scrutinise ACTA -
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement -  is the topic of an oral question
| tabled for the March session of the European Parliament.  The question, from
| Swedish MEP Jens Holm , asks whether the final draft of  of any forthcoming
| agreement will be published by the Council before final agreement and whether
| the  European and national Parliaments will be able to scrutinise the text. A
| third question asks that the Council should not agree and rubber stamp the
| ACTA during the Parliament's recess for the elections.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=260&Itemid=9

ACTA: An Attack on Common Sense?

,----[ Quote ]
| James Love has published some details about the current ACTA negotiations.
| Copyright ideologues have been (successfully) pushing for extreme legislation
| for several years.  Each time new legislation is passed, it is only a
| stepping stone towards even more extreme legislation.  Any reasonable person
| picked up from the 70s and dropped in the 00s would be stunned by how
| completely copyright ideology has infected the legislative process.   Indeed,
| by germinating in international fora, it subverts the process.  Copyright
| ideologues use international treaties to enforce or extend domestic
| legislation, bypassing local legislatures and then requiring them to enact
| the provisions.  Any time anyone objects about the disparity between the
| ideology and reality, they are slapped down with “International Obligations”.
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/acta-an-attack-on-common-sense/

More ACTA Papers Locked Away

,----[ Quote ]