Re: Linux offers free upgrades to Windopws PC Users

On Jun 26, 6:39 pm, Hans Lister <styme...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:23:33 GMT, 7 wrote:
> > Linux offers free upgrades to Windopws PC Users
> > Here it is:

> >http://www.livescdlist.com
> >http://www.distrdowatch.com
> >http://www.ubumtu.com

> > The free upgrades help users stuck with virus infected
> > windopws pay to use software and pirated software

I didn't see any mention of any pirated software.  Remember, if you
are using Open Source software in compliance with the terms of the
license, that's not piracy.

I was thinking maybe you were going to point me at some site that
offered a Windows VM or Windows libraries for WINE for PCs that had
not been shipped preconfigured with Windows.

Keep in mind that if you purchase a machine that comes with Windows
preinstalled, you are allowed to continue to use that software even if
you put Linux on the same drive.  You can even generate a Virtualized
image, and run that on the computer as well.  You can also use that
copy on any other machine that was purchased with that version of
Windows, or later (Vista).

What you are NOT allowed to do is purchase a machine that does NOT
have Windows preinstalled (ie. paid for by the OEM and the costs
passed on to you, along with a mark-up, and put a Windows image on
it.  That is a violation of federal copyright laws.  You could be
subject to a $25,000 fine per offense and/or up to 5 years in jail,
per offense.  If you do something like this for a corporation, the
company could be required to pay as much as $400 per copy - full
retail price, for every machine so configured.

This may be one reason why even companies that do use Linux as the
primary operating system on some of the desktop or laptop machines
still order those machines with Windows OEM licenses included.

> > to upgrade their PCs for every day surfing,
> > email and Open Office
> > wordprocessing.

And quite a bit more.

> It's only free if your time has no value.

If you only use it for the purposes described above, it wouldn't be
that much extra time.  It takes about 20 minutes to ADD Linux to an
existing Windows system.  If you do it BEFORE your hard drive gets
corrupted, or you do a proper back-up, or you have the installation
software media, you can rescue corrupted Windows.

Usually, where things get expensive because they are time consuming,
is custom configurations, special interest software, and 3rd party
commercial applications not specifically targeted for that
distribution or distribution family.

Many software publishers are now offering rpm packages for LSB-3.x
based distributons like Red Hat, and SUSE and deb package formats for
Debian based distributions such as Ubuntu, Debian, and PCOS