Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Office Gone Far Too Bloated

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 26 June 2009 19:38 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tony Manco belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
>>>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> One hint I found in speeding up the loading of OpenOffice is to make sure
>>> you've uninstalled any fonts you never use (which can include a lot of
>>> foreign-language fonts).
>>>

>> Is 8 seconds from a cold start really that much?
>>
>> ~$ time oowriter
>> real 0m8.196s
>> user 0m0.036s
>> sys  0m0.112s
>>
>> Second time started...
>>
>> ~$ time oowriter
>> real 0m2.019s
>> user 0m0.048s
>> sys  0m0.060s
>>
>> Is it really that slow?
>
> No, not at all.
>
> You ought to see Word running in a Win 2000 virtual machine.  Pathetic.

Word or Windows (or both)?

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

To err is human, to moo bovine. -- BSD fortune file
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 5  Jun 16 09:31                   last=S