Re: [News] 20-25 Watts Suffice for Compete GNU/Linux Experience

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Shuttle XS29f: Linux Looks Great in Green
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Power and space saving computers are in, and Shuttle has a winner with
> | the XS29F. This little gem really skimps on the power consumption to the
> | tune of around 20-25 watts on average. That's less than half of that
> | 60-watt light bulb shining down on you right now. For the Do It
> | Yourselfer (DIYer) on a budget this box makes a lot of sense.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6783/1/

I took an old 1.5GHz laptop and made it into a remotely
administrable Xubuntu desktop/server.
I took the batteries out (to reduce power drain)
and put it on external power supply.
I blanked out the screen by wedging a paper over the
laptop lid switch (as its a server and most of the
work is done remotely through ssh).
I measured the power drain and it was 14W!!!

Nice :-D

Old laptops with their batteries removed make damn good servers!
(Just make sure the fans on them are good ball bearing type
 and creates sufficient air flow to keep it going 24/7.)