Re: [News] Why You Should Care About GNU/Linux

On 2009-06-26, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:

>> ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Friday 26 June 2009 12:26 : \____

>>> Whether it'll still WORK however, is another matter entirely.
>>> I know for a fact it stopped working sometime in the SuSE 8 or 9 stage.
>>> ABI and API changes, new library versions and older linker no longer
>>> supported...
>>>
>>> Though I suppose you could install suse 6 (or Redhat 6) on a virtual machine
>>> to run it in.
>>
>> Microsoft paid Corel a lot of money to end Linux development. Where were
>> antitrust regulators?
>
> Links?  Evidence?  Roy?
>
> (Not that it would surprise me.)

Here's something sorta hinting at it.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25661/1231/

   Xandros began life as Corel Linux, a Debian-based distribution which
   was acquired along with the development team behind the product from
   Corel Corporation in August 2001.

   This came nine months or so after Corel’s announcement to sell off
   completely (or, at the time, gain additional investments in) its
   Linux business. Just the previous month – October 2000 – Corel
   obtained a $US 135m investment from Microsoft.

   Microsoft said it planned to use the Microsoft cash infusion to make
   its applications compliant with the still new Microsoft .Net
   framework technologies. Yet, as part of the terms of the deal, Corel
   were also to port this framework to Linux. I am not aware Corel
   fulfilled this, given the rise of the Mono project, but Microsoft
   clearly placed their money and their fingers into Corel’s product –
   a legacy that Xandros inherited by acquisition.

--
Oxymoron: Senatorial Courtesy.
Eee PC900 16G SSD 2G RAM Ubuntu 9.04